Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
Recently I have decided I want to get a motorcycle for the road. Ideally I would love to have a sport bike but here in Quebec the insurance and yearly plating for them are going higher each year. They are essentially going to make them so expensive to put on the road that a good number of people will just have to move to less high performance bikes. I am looking into getting a supermotard, something like a Drz400 or Xr. Does anyone have any experience with these bikes? How does a sport touring compare to a sport? I'm just curious whether I am making a good choice or maybe there are other bikes that are more fun that are also cheap on insurance. Let me hear your opinions.

Last edited:

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I really like the idea of the supermoto bike on the street. On a sport bike, they don't really come into their own until you're running above 70 mph. On a supermoto bike, you can have the time of your life in a parking lot at 30 mph. Plus, if you crash it, you can pick it up and keep on riding (hopefully before the highway patrol gets there ;) ).

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Looking at your desires and options, the DRZ400 looks like a fun bike, but have you considers the less sporty sport bikes? Instead of the R6, Yamaha hase the FZ6 which is slightly lower on performance and a little better as far as comfort goes. Also, Suzuki has the SV bikes which will probably be less expensive to resiger and insure than the GSXR line.

As far as I know, the DRZ400 is the only factory supermoto style bike on the market, and it comes road ready, so IMO it is the only option if that is the route that you want to take.

friar tuck

Feb 9, 2006
There's some former East German company (I think) making reasonably priced SM bikes...I'm thinking MZ is the name? I've seen several of the KTM SMs around here...awesome looking machines.

Dirtknobs

Apr 16, 2006
Cool, thanks for all the comments, I am still a little undecided whether I should put all the money and effort into getting onto the road or maybe i should just stick to the dirt. I have to keep in mind half the year I can't even ride!

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I have to keep in mind half the year I can't even ride!
I think you should rephrase that :yikes:

Otherwise that sounds like you are admitting that a Canadian can only ride in good weather, your Canadian bretheren will be all over you for that slip of the tongue ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Well, I will now confess, I do not follow the produce lines of Husaberg, Aprilia, Husky, Sherco, or ATK, so when I do speak of motorcycles I tend to forget that they even exist. I guess my neglect stems from the fact that I have only seen 2 Huskys that were less than 15 years old since I got into riding. Also, I have never seen a dealer for any of the aforementioned brands so I would assume that they are a little difficult to find.
Based on my knowledge at the time (which I am always willing to expand), I will stand by my previous statements (which I prefaced with terms which left the possibility of others open, for I knew that there may be others). I am however, happy that you mentioned the makers that I was unaware of (despite your obvious intent), now the OP is aware of a few more possible bikes that I am certain that he didn't know existed. I shall attempt to remember that these companies still exist in the future.

On the KTM, I should have known about it, but for some reason their SM has never caught my focus (and I was at the local dealer yesterday evaluating the 85SX).

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
FruDaddy said:
On the KTM, I should have known about it, but for some reason their SM has never caught my focus (and I was at the local dealer yesterday evaluating the 85SX).
;) :cool:

Top Bottom