thrashed200m

Mar 14, 2007
I'm new , and just looking for a bit of advice. I plan to convert a dirtbike into a street legal on/off, and looking for info, especially problems or weaknesses , with the older bigbore YZ's ( 465,490 ).
I like 2-strokes, I like projects, and I'm cheap, which is why I don't just go buy a later XL or DR or something. I plan to use it for short-trip rural backroad and gravel/dirt road riding, mostly.
Is a YZ465 a bad idea ? Specifically, will the motor tolerate periods of 1/2 throttle, steady-speed running ? And, is vibration really fierce on these ? I've ridden one, but only offroad moto-x riding.

Would a total-loss system ( I don't mind charging the battery between rides ) be the simplest way for lights, or is it relatively easy to add - what? - lighting coils to the motor to get juice out of it ?

Can the rear linkage be modded to lower ride height an inch or two without destroying all the travel ? And , can the front tubes just be raised in the triple clamp a couple of inches, or can the tubes and springs both be cut down, to lower ride while retaining mostly normal function ?

Or, just a really bad idea all the way 'round ? What do you think , and thanks for any insight . . .

Top Bottom