Surviving Dave Wood's Off Road Class

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
If someone would have told me the following facts, I would not have believed them:

• You will ride the most difficult trail you have ever attempted in your life
  • It will take you 10 hours to complete a total of 32 miles
  • You will run out out of water at about hour 6
  • You will try not to look at steep cliff drops while trying to navigate a sharp hairpin switchback (repeat 25 more times)
  • You exit the trail and look back to see that it was indeed....a Black Diamond trail
  • You will have...................FUN?:think:

Yep, that was the Dave Wood Class, held at Forresthill, CA this past Saturday.  I coulda swore Dave advertised this class for "beginners" and that we were gonna do "blue and green" trails to improve our skills.  I know ALL the blue and green trails at Forresthill and they're all a blast.  Fun stuff.  Its all good!  I just stay off Trail 6, thats for lunatics!

The first thing Dave tells the class of 10 students was that we were going to learn a few skills before we head out onto the Trail 6 to put them to use. Did he just say Trail 6?

Yes.  He just said Trail 6 :whiner:

I seek out my friend Mick, who's along to help out the straggling riders and ask him if he's ever done Trail 6.  His eyebrows raise a bit as he says "Brutal!"  Then he realizes the effect his statement has on me and reassures me that I'll do fine!:silly:  I then go seek out Treefinder, he's for sure familiar with all of Forresthill.  I want to know how he thinks I'll do, as he knows my skill level.  "I've never done Trail 6", says Treefinder.  My heart drops a little more.

I decide to just put my trust in Dave Wood, afterall, he would not put us in danger and must understand the limits a human can endure out there on the trail.  I steel myself at the entrance to Trail 6 after we practice some drills we would need to survive out there.  Time to go.  Do or die.  That which does not kill us makes us stronger.  Buck up.  Chin up.  All that stuff went through my mind.  Surprisiningly, my attitude at this point was pretty positive.

The first part was awesome.  Fun trails, single track, woods, few rocks.  Then it looks like we will be decsending.  Not so much a steep drop down, but a meandering maze of downward spirals that take us deep into a lush canyon.  This isn't so bad.  I take my time, navigate rocks and roots.  Try to focus on the trail in front of me instead of the sheer drops to my side.  I get to my first switchback.  I'm supposed to use my new skills and remain standing, drop into the seat, dab with the inside foot and pull the rear tire around.  Instead, I stop before the turn about 4 feet.  I get off the bike and shut off the engine.  I use the clutch to allow the bike to inch (and I mean inch!) forward, then manuever the bike around the hairpin.  I try not to look over the side.  But I do anyway:( .

Well, at least that's behind me.  I can handle more of this.  Only there were about 8-10 more switchbacks just like this one.  Some I handle better than others.  Some I doggy paddle through the turn, some I hop off and clutch through.  Some I hand the bike over the Mick.  It seems like hours later and we get down to the bottom of this treacherous, rocky, steep mountain.  We stop and rest at a beautiful foot bridge that spans across a babbling creek.

After we take a short break, Dave congratulates us all on accomplishing the task we have just completed, but there is more to come.  He and Mike Pascarella go over some more reminders on how to navigate obstacles in the trail, body position, mental attitude.  Dave tells us that Trail 6 will take us back up another Canyon, then down and up one more time.  We are only about a quarter of the way done with this loop. 

The next section is uphill and proves to be lots of fun.  My lowered gearing is really helping me out a lot as I recall past tries at similar hills with failure.  I'm starting to have a lot of fun, even though I'm still wore out physically from the recent decent.  I get to one tough rocky uphill section and Mick has to ride my bike through it.  A few other people have trouble, then we all proceed as a group.  There's an abandoned bike, mostly frame and wires and hanging headlight, resting up against a tree.  We joke that it must have been one of Dave's former students who didn't quite make Trail 6:) .  We all eventually get to the top of this part of the trail and exit the Trail head onto a fireroad.  While we are resting, Dave points back at the trail marking and notes the Black Diamond designating Trail 6 and tells us we should all be pround of ourselves.

We get a break by riding about 2 miles of fireroad to the next decent into Trail 6. I think we are about half way through the trail at this point and I'm almost out of water.  So are the others.  Well, I made it this far, I can finish this.  Trouble is, I'm so exhausted and physically spent by this point I start to make stupid mistakes.  I try hard to stay focused.  Most of this trail is rocky, but also has some fun single track.  Those sheer drop offs are still avidly present and I somehow wander my gaze over the side and......over I go.

I'm thinking I'm a gonner.  My bike stays near the top and I tumble, landing on my bad shoulder and I hear something crunch or pop.  After catching my breath and getting a helping hand by pulling myself up by tree roots and branches 20' to the outreached arm of one of my classmates.  I whine about my shoulder a little, having just healed up from a rotator injury. Dave tells me, with a little mischievousness, the crunch and pop must have been the tree branch I snapped on the way down and not my shoulder.  It makes me smile a little and I decide I better get focused and not fall off the cliff anymore.

The rest of the ride gets a little sketchy.  I remember some really fun trails, feeling great at some points, feeling like an idiot at others.  Being exhausted, feeling dehydrated.  Having a hard time remounting my bike after someone would ride it through a tough section.  I recall thinking that single track next to steep drop offs would never bother me as much anymore and also feeling like I was going to get sick.

I was riding along this uphill, narrow, rocky and root infested section.  No one was in front of me because they were so far ahead.  No one was behind me because someone was having trouble in a section I had just left.  I crash in a tough rocky section and become lodged between my bike and a boulder.  My right thigh is stuck high up.  I try to lift the bike up and I'm too weak and make no progress.  I try to use my free leg for leverage to move the bike and that makes my other leg cramp up.  A few more futile attempts and I end up wedging my stuck leg even tighter.  I resign to sit and wait for the next riders to come up the trail.  I can't believe how exhausted I am.  I realize I'm sitting in the sun and there's a busy ant farm a couple of feet from me near the boulder.  I envision being taken over by the hungry ants, unable to exticate myself from the boulder and my bike.  I try to move the bike again and I'm amazed at how little energy I have. 

My thoughts then wander to the Mountain Climber in the recent news who, upon getting stuck and wedged under the weight of a boulder for three nights, uses his pocket knife to cut his arm off at the elbow to extricate himself and save his life.  I realize I'm fresh out of pocket knives.....and OH LOOK!!!  Here comes one of my classmates up the trail to save me now!! YAY!

More tough trail, more rocks, more roots, more of Mick riding my bike up the hard stuff, more pep talks from Dave.  Once, Mike Pascarella even put me on the back of his Husaberg and rode us two up a section I didn't think was possible.  Amazing.  Dave can see that I'm dwindling mentally and offers me some of his water (thanks).  The last section goes on far longer than I kept imaging.  Isn't the end of the trail just around the corner?  Mike's Husaberg overheats from going so slow behind me through the tough sections.  My bike boils too and we have to wait.

We finally get to the end of Trail 6.  All better people, better riders.  All are exhausted, bruised, out of water, mentally drained.  We are all happy to see friendly fireroad and the thought of getting back to camp carries us forward.  Its 8 PM by the time we get back, still light out.  Water is all I can think about.  We've been out there for 10 hours and completed a mere 32 miles.

I would have never CHOSEN to ride this trail, but I'm very happy that I did.  I can now say I rode a tough Black Diamond Trail and even though I needed a good amount of assistance and pep talks, I still feel good about it.  Would I do it again?  Probably not for a while!  But now the single track next to a cliff doesn't bother me as much, the rooted rocky stuff I can get through most of the time, and I don't think anything will ever be as tough as what I have just completed.

Thanks Dave, Mike and Mick.  I could not have done this without your support.

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
Hi Natalie Congrates on making it through Trail 6 :thumb: Last time I did it was 10 years ago on a KX500, don't know why I have never gone back and done again.

Just think, you could have come to Georgetown and helped us put on the FOOLS GOLD ENDURO, but then you would have missed all the fun you had.

Are we gonna see you at the TRAINING WHEELS?

Kraig

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Wow!

Nice write up GMTC!

Where can I get more info on the classes this guy offers? Not much luck on Google...

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Nice write up Nat! You'll soon be ready for anything I can throw at you!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Natalie,
Congrats on making it through Trail 6! Sounds like a supersize drink system is in your immediate future ;)

BTW, in the '80's, the trail maps for Foresthill used to warn against taking watercooled bikes on Trail 6 because they would overheat!

Smit-Dog - if you email Dave Wood, I'm sure he would put you on his email list for upcoming classes. His email should be in his DRN member profile.

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
Natalie

Nice job! Man that sounds like a tough day for sure. I did #6 a week ago and it really is one of the toughest trails around. One of the guys I was with had bike problems right before that rock step up on the way out - in the sun and got heat exhaustion. It took him and two other guys an extra 2 hours to get out of there. It took us 5 hours to do it -I can't imagine being on that trail for 10 hour - BRUTAL !!!

Good Job
Dan

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
Nat,

Great write up. I haven't even done trail 6. You could be our next trail guide now that you know every inch of it and more. 10 hours of fun just seems like to much fun in one day. Nat good attitude with that which does not kill us makes us stronger.

George

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Natalie, great job!!! :yeehaw:
You could be our next trail guide now that you know every inch of it and more.
I like that idea, George! I'm in for Natalie's trail 6 tour. ;)
Mini

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Natalie,
Good for you! :thumb: Reading your report brought back memories of my first class with Dave. One of these days I may have enough courage to go back and try it again. :scream: Dave does have a way of challenging you.

Unkle Moose

~SPONSOR~
Jan 16, 2001
This is how I think Nat would lead a trail 6 ride. At the beginning a little tray of snacks for energy. Then a few miles in after the first set of switchbacks would be a nice salad bar and another tray of snacks and water. The the next stop would be more power bars and energy snacks, maybe some shripm and hot wings. Then at the finish a full on BBQ with lots of Maragaritas. So when and where do we sign up Nat?

RetSenior

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 15, 2000
Nat,

Don't feel bad about having someone ride your bike through sections. I went on a Dave Wood class for good C to B riders and Dave ended up riding a Good C riders bike and even a good B riders bike up a section. So it happens with a lot of us.

George

ps I'll go on that ride Unkle Moose is talking about but you will have to make me my special meals with no carbs.

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Originally posted by Unkle Moose
Then at the finish a full on BBQ with lots of Maragaritas. So when and where do we sign up Nat?

Unkle Moose,
You have it backwards, Maragaritas FIRST! then ride trail 6. :yeehaw:

Dave rode my bike up a section when I was too tired. :whiner:

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Unkle Moose
This is how I think Nat would lead a trail 6 ride. At the beginning a little tray of snacks for energy. Then a few miles in after the first set of switchbacks would be a nice salad bar and another tray of snacks and water. The the next stop would be more power bars and energy snacks, maybe some shripm and hot wings. Then at the finish a full on BBQ with lots of Maragaritas. So when and where do we sign up Nat?

Ohhhhhh!!......you were sooooo close, Kraig!!! ;)   You almost had it nailed down. 

You forgot the refreshingly cold aloe and lemon finger towels to wipe the trail grime off our hands and faces prior to the mid-way noshing.  Secondly, there would be a a couple of massage therapists in tow (similar to Sherpas on K2) who would give us therapuetic reflexology treatments, as well as neck and shoulder massage just after the second downhill descent into the abyss.  Lastly, in addition to shrimp cocktails and hot wings.....Red Bull ice cubes to soothe the dust-parched throat.  So your in??

And yes, I'll be at the Training Wheels.  :yeehaw:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by the incredibly shrinking RetSenior
ps I'll go on that ride Unkle Moose is talking about but you will have to make me my special meals with no carbs.

Only for you :thumb:

mud-jedi

May 30, 2003
wow!!! that's an awesome report...
I have never been to Forrest Hill, and now I am already scared of trail 6 ... Sounds challenging though... Nat, if you are crazy enough to go back in there, I'll be there with you !

Pascal

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
If Dave were an Alabama native, he would say "That's the last of the hard stuff." every half mile.

Awesome ride (and excellent report!). :thumb:

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by GETMETOCA

You forgot the refreshingly cold aloe and lemon finger towels to wipe the trail grime off our hands and faces prior to the mid-way noshing.  Secondly, there would be a a couple of massage therapists in tow (similar to Sherpas on K2) who would give us therapuetic reflexology treatments, as well as neck and shoulder massage just after the second downhill descent into the abyss.  Lastly, in addition to shrimp cocktails and hot wings.....Red Bull ice cubes to soothe the dust-parched throat.  So your in??
:

Natalie, your report is very well written. Pierre and I confirm that she is not exagerating. Trail 6 is a killer. Please sign me up Natalie for your next tour however. I could use a massage therapist right about now.

BTW Pierre and I have your red flashlight and a citronella candle.

Jen

dmdxr400

Jun 2, 2003
Natalie,
I took that class. That's a great write-up on the Dave Wood class. As difficult as it was, there were many smiles at the end - a good days work and accomplishment. On top of any difficulty on the trail, I think everyone running out of water played a big part. People were getting loopy. The scenery was spectacular and the one spot where there was a rock wall was amazing with the trail running the crest with descents on both sides. Some of the switchbacks were difficult (very steep)since the training wouldn't apply to some of them- unless your pivot leg was extremely long. For me the scariest part was at the very end when it looked like Mick, Pierre and wife, & yourself all the sudden weren't with the rest of the group. We waited quite awhile. It became obvious how easily people can get lost or feel very lost out there. Dave seemed a little concerned. But when we got back to the staging area, all were accounted for.
For me it was a great experience and worth every penny.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Nat - great job on making it thru Dave's class. I rode Trail 6 on my '88 XR600 the first time I went to Foresthill and I just about thru the bike off the edge I was so beat and PO'd at the bike. The only other time I've ridden Foresthill was the TW in Dec '02 so my recollections of Trail 6 are a bit hazy but I remember it having some very steep tight switchbacks. Now that you bested Trail 6 it sounds like a Gorman/Snowy Trail trip may in order :scream:

The first class I took at Downieville I ran out of water, fouled a plug (on a WR400 - only time this has happened), had to have Ricky1 ride my bike up a rooted & rutted 20 ft section cause I was too exhausted AND I threw up from the exertion. Wish I could have been there to help you out but it sounds like Mick did an exceptional job as the substitute sweeper:)

When is the "Natalie's 3 Hour Guided Tour and Appetizer Trail Ride"? Sign me up. Can I tell RetSenior "you can't eat that"?

Brian

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom