May 25, 2004
Suspected Seizure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had just done the top end on my 1986 KDX 200 (because of a leaky base gasket) and was on a 4-5 mile drive down a gravel road to go try out my bike in a gravel pit. I was riding in 5th or 6th and was keeping it just below the engagement of the KIPPS. We got near the pit and I backed of the throttle and the bike sounded like it seized (gradually tightening bog). But it wasn't seized solid and started and ran fine a minute later. We continued our ride in the pit. Now this has happened a couple of times, but only on road rides and never when we're on the track or trails. I'm suspecting it was in fact a seizure brought on by the throttle roll off. Any other thoughts?

Anybody know stock specs for the carb for my bike?

Bubbie3737

Feb 28, 2004
sounds exactly like how it happened on my 79 yamaha IT. It started and ran a little afterwards too, just weird and wouldn't idle. The piston and ring were completely fried.

May 25, 2004
I mixed a little richer and rode a small amateur track that we built. I didn't really rip on it, and road for about an hour. Then later on that afternoon, we went to the pit. Funny thing is it still starts really well and runs with no apparent problems.

carney

Mar 17, 2004
Take a look at your carb inlet boot too, to see if it's cracked, and causing the bike to run too lean. That is a common problem on the older KDX's.

levert

Jan 29, 2002
Check the bore size and see if it is within limits.You might have put a new piston in a worn cylinder, sounded like a mild cold seizure.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
he says it runs fine now.... no?.... if it runs fine, it runs fine.... I seriously doubt that you seized your motor and now it "starts really well and runs with no apparent problems".... more likely that your bike bogged because of a random anomally... (such as crud in a jet or a float sticking)..

I wouldn't tear it down unless you seriously suspect a problem.... i.e.- it gives some symptoms, or you find a part on the floor that you forgot... lol

thats my 2 cents

Top Bottom