Suspension adjustments for cornering

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I'm having problems with getting my bike to corner in ruts. The front end doesn't like to settle into a rut and always seems to pop out. I have slide the forks up in the triple clamps so about 1/2 inch stick up above top triple clamp. I have also set my sag to 90mm to get some more weight on the front. I was going to take a link out of my chain but my chain is not long enough for it.

As for the clickers, I softened up the compression and stiffened up the rebound. I have the understanding that the soft compression will let the suspension compress and the stiffer rebound will keep the suspension compressed for better turning.

I have played with the clickers to no avail. At one time, I had my rebound set to full stiff and the front end would never get to the point of tucking under and lowsiding.

I have been playing with the oil level in the forks for bottoming resistance(not related to this problem) and from the dust marks, I can see that the forks are using all of their stroke so I don't want to go down on my oil level.

Any one have some suggestions?

FYI the bike is a crf250.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I had the same problem with my 99cr250. What ended up working for me was to get heavier springs. I had slid the forks up in the triple clamps, played with the oil height, and all the clickers too, to no avail. My forks actually handle the small, square-edge chop better because my forks are higher in the stroke now.

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
That might be the ticket, i'm 215 w/o gear and it's stock springs. But, wouln't going to a stiffer spring not allow the front to compress as much in a turn?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Actually, the front end sits higher in the corner, and the heavier springs literally push the tire into the ground to plant it. I am only 165, but found the stock springs too light for me. When a friend had his crf250, he also complained about it not sticking as well as he would have liked. He is about 220. I rode it and found it a bit soft for me. I am no big jumper, but tend to prefer stiffer rates for more stability, sacrificing a little plushness. I was surprised that my forks actually felt softer in the first third of the travel after installing stiffer springs. I am currently at the standard volume of oil, also. Use oil volume to control bottoming.

moto9

May 5, 2004
Wouldn't softening the fork's rebound give a better response in the corners.
Meaning the wheel can react quicker in a downward direction allowing it to grip the terrain better.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I had a 04 CRF 250, the bike was real good except the steering. I tried the 20 mm offset clamps and it helped, but it was not a fix IMO. Also tried different clicker settings, springs, and fork tube positions to no avail :|

I believe the problem is in the frame, it has too much rake. If the CRF turned like a KXF/RMZ, I never would have sold it!

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I rode one with std offset but modded forks(not sure what changes) and on hardpack it was ok-not great but ok, im guessing its worse on other track conditions.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The fork action was actually very good on this modded fork, but the cornering wasnt as good as the rmz we had alongside for comparison.They both cornered much better than my 04rm125 on hardpack, on soft dirt it would be another story.So i guess i am saying a modded fork helps the steering but its not a cure.

dbrace

Oct 30, 2002
Start with the basics, what do you weigh?
Setting your rider height at 90mm will cause more problems than it cures.

Regards,
Darren

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I weigh 215. What is wrong with setting the sag to 90mm?

Again, at this weekends race, I could not for the life of me get this bike to want to carve a turn. When in a turn, the bike feels like it wants to stand straight up. Doesn't want to lean over and turn sharp. The front tire always pops up out of the rut. It happened this time at the bottom of a hill going into a long, soft berm. Came into the turn nice but front tire just kept wanting to go straight. Front tire poped up over the berm and I took a tumble.

I played around again with the clickers and tire pressure and nothing really changed.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I would try setting 100mm of sag and ride it again-it doesnt always work to try to load the front wheel to get it to steer-ask any ktm rider.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Casper250 said:
I weigh 215.

Again, at this weekends race, I could not for the life of me get this bike to want to carve a turn. When in a turn, the bike feels like it wants to stand straight up. Doesn't want to lean over and turn sharp..

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Casper250 said:
I weigh 215. What is wrong with setting the sag to 90mm?

Again, at this weekends race, I could not for the life of me get this bike to want to carve a turn. When in a turn, the bike feels like it wants to stand straight up. Doesn't want to lean over and turn sharp. .

Oh you mean it turns lake a ktm!!
Marcus is right, it may turn better with more sag. My ktm turns much better in ruts with more sag. The only place less sag helps is on flat corners with no ruts or berms.If you think about it when your in a rut or berm your not really steering with the front wheel, but both wheels are helping to change direction.

frankrock363

Sponsoring Member
Jan 21, 2004
marcusgunby said:
I would try setting 100mm of sag and ride it again-it doesnt always work to try to load the front wheel to get it to steer-ask any ktm rider.

Very true my yz450 handles its best with the fork tubes slid up10mm and the sag at 105mm. It took me a little bit to figure out I keep wanting to go with less sag. Once I got myself to try more sag it not only cornered better but the suspention front and rear were much more balanced.

Top Bottom