Crash 142

May 30, 2002
I have an 04 RM 250 (2 stroke) (Showa suspension). I love the bike. After about 10 hours of MX I noticed the front end was behaving differently (standing up in ruts and pushing in flat corners) - I think the forks were rebounding quicker. I experimented with slowing the rebound (3 clicks slower), and that totally cured the problem in turns, but the forks were packing. I've since backed it out to one slower than stock. Then I thought, if the forks are rebounding faster, maybe they are going through their compression quicker, too.

The logical thing would be to stiffen the fork compression - but the forks were feeling good, so I experimented with softening the shock compression (to balance the bike - it was still feeling a little 'off' - I'm normally good in the whoops, but have been terrrible in them lately). I took the shock compression out 3 clicks softer (stock is 7, I have it at 10 now), and the bike felt really good and seemed to handle better (no chance to try it in whoops yet) - it felt more controlled in power-on drifts coming out of corners (not speedway style, just aggressive MX with the rear just barely breaking loose).

I only had a short ride on the bike like this. I will continue to experiment each weekend.

But here's my big question - did the front forks just break in and get softer / faster? At first I thought my oil was broken down, but at 10 hours, this change in the forks should just be the break-in to perform as designed, right?

Also, if this is the case, am I nuts to go so soft on this bike? I'm stock fork compression, now one slower fork rebound, 3 faster shock compression, stock shock high speed compression and rebound, and 102mm sag. I'm 5'10" and race MX vet int/exp.

Is my suspension just breaking in, is my suspension oil in need of replacement, or am I just nuts?

Top Bottom