Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
For some reason, I'm hitting jumps pretty fast, but not getting the air or distance that everyone else seems get. Someone told me to compress the suspension first.
I'm not sure what this means, or how to do it. Any advice?
( I'm 54 years old....so lets not get too radical )

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
Be for warned that my jumps are limited to small mounds no doubles or anything crazy. To compress the suspension you pushdown on the forks as you hit the face of the jump. That way the springs have more load on them almost bounce you into the air. I personally believe this is a easy way to adjust for incorect suspension setup. I found myself doing this and I tightened the compression clicker a couple of notches. That was the ticket for me.

I would try both to see what you like and let us know.

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
Do not push down on the forks. This could cause you to jerk back on the bars on launch or make the front end rebound more than the rear causing a nose high jump. (I have done this before.)

To compress your suspension you should be using your legs and body to compress through the footpegs. This will cause the front and back to compress equally for a more level launch. You can practice compressing through your legs as you ride to get the feel for it.

It is important that you time the compression. Depending on the jump, I try to basically add to the natural compression as the bike compresses into the jump face. When you do it right, man do you float.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
My guess is you're not going fast enough (been there). Try videotaping your riding and you'll see how slow you really are (done that). You can also try and ride behind someone that makes the jumps.

My problem in not getting distance was (and is, I can make about a 30 foot tabletop) letting of the gas just before I get air.

Being off the throttle for the last few feet eats up an incredible amount of distance, an easy 10 feet on most any decent jump. Pogoing the suspension might get you a few (3-5) feet on a good jump.

Watch out for looping if you start to practise this.

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by Anssi
My guess is you're not going fast enough (been there). Try videotaping your riding and you'll see how slow you really are (done that). You can also try and ride behind someone that makes the jumps.

My problem in not getting distance was (and is, I can make about a 30 foot tabletop) letting of the gas just before I get air.

Being off the throttle for the last few feet eats up an incredible amount of distance, an easy 10 feet on most any decent jump. Pogoing the suspension might get you a few (3-5) feet on a good jump.

Watch out for looping if you start to practise this.

Guys you need to know Mister Peer... What he is not telling you is that brakes before the jump and rolls up the face of the jump. As far as a vidio of Peer jumping...I have hours of vidio of this rider. I have a nice shot of him getting about 2 feet of air. I sent a clip of Peer in to America's funnest vidio, I got a reply that it was excepted for future use. Besides Peer!!!when is there a 30 foot table top in the woods? When are we going to ride??? One of your favorite rides is coming up...Salamanca dice run....Yes the Mister Manly ride...lol To all the members, I will pay dearly for the postings on Peer.

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
Buzzbomb,
I can not offer Mister Peer any adice. I was taught to respect my elders, With Mister Peer being in his 50's and I in my 30's I have to be kind to this joy fellow from the north. If you only knew the pranks and jokes I was involved with at the hands of Peer, You would know my pain(just kidding). Mister Peer has sent E-mails to my lady friends and fellow riders mocking my riding skills, my looks,my bike,my truck and my body. Its not like I mind my friends getting a e-mail saying this is your beloved MRRMX up in Canada. The e-mail contains a picture of a pick up truck with a dude tied up in the bed, stript down to his bvds and a ball shoved in his mouth. So as you can now see its all in fun......

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Well then, Meeister Peeir, I would suggest losing about 20 pounds and 30 years. :)

P.S. I, too, have some pictures of MRRMX, but the content filter won't let me describe them. :p

MRRMX

Nov 24, 1999
Originally posted by High Lord Gomer
Well then, Meeister Peeir, I would suggest losing about 20 pounds and 30 years. :)

If The man lost 20 pounds, He would look sickly.....as far as the 30 years go...cant change that....Unless you mean one of his many lady friends...

Top Bottom