Suspension for a Do-it-all YZ400f and short guy

fundgh

Feb 17, 2005
I recently bought a 99 YZ400F with California Plate to replace my KDX220 so I can spend more time in the seat. I have 2 factors that I want to address with the suspension. The first is lowering it. As a guy that stands 5' 6" (with shorter legs) 165 lbs, it can be a chore to even throw my leg over the thing on flat ground. After looking at all of the lowering options, I would like to do it internally to the suspension knowing full well that I will lose some travel. The other thing that I would like to do is make dampening adjustments on the fly to better suit the bike for street vs. dirt.
While this is a no compromise dirt bike, I will use it in a 50/50 manner, but want to leave it more capable in the dirt rather than comfortable on the street.
I am looking for input on the lowering issue; what kind of spacers do I need to lower the fork 2 inches, and what do I need to do to the shock? As well as opinions on what quick adjustments should be made to the dampening adjusters (primarily fork) to quickly make it better suited for dirt or street.
I am not a very aggressive rider on the dirt or the steet, so I don't push the suspension to its limits. I don't jump or MX. All suggestions welcome and appreciated.

David

Top Bottom