Suspension for a "Master" class rider

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Im looking for some advise or tips on setting up suspension for a 50+ rider. Im pushing 50 now and weigh around 210lb. I ride mostly rough trail stuff but like to hit the track now and then at an int. level. I love my 08 CRF 450 but the suspension is quickly taking it's toll on my aged frame. I want a plush ride with good dampening that can still take some bigger hits on the track with good handling on the trail.

1. Is this a reasonable request?
2. Can this be done without spending a ton?
3. How would a tuner factor in ones age when revalving?
4. Who else is in the same boat?

Thanks!
Dave

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
You need to tell the truth about your weight to get correct springsbut to get a plush anti arm pump setting you can lie about your speed (say you are slower than you truely are) or request a trail set up instead of a cross country (if you mention MX extra stiffness will result) and from my personal experience if you have you're tuner add an extra smaller shim after the cross-over shim (same thickness as cross-over but half the external diameter) it allowes small deflections (less than 2 inches) to be absorbed by the forks instead of transfered into your wrists.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
1. Is this a reasonable request? Absolutely and down right required if you want to keep riding into your twilight years ;)

2. Can this be done without spending a ton? It depends on the tuner. It's roughly $190 for a revalve for each end. I highly recommend MX-Tech. Jeremy just redid mine for the same reason you are asking. He changed the seals and replaced worn parts so the total price was higher but well worth it. This was my second revalve so the valve changes them self were free.

3. How would a tuner factor in ones age when revalving? Honesty. I never plan on hitting a MX track again so I told him I wanted it valved for strictly woods riding. I still crank it up though so I asked for some good bottoming resistance too. It’s perfect now for slow, tight technical stuff but can still take a hard hit. If I had the gumption I’d try it on the track and feel confident with it.

4. Who else is in the same boat? Well, I’m 210 lbs, 2 years past 50 and the last revalve was for woods with some MX but it the woods it just wasn’t plush enough for me. The changes I had made don’t let the trail beat me up as bad and I can ride longer…OK, maybe not longer but I can actually when I get off the bike :ohmy:

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Thanks all, thats what i wanted to hear. Its a big investment but will be a necessary one if im going to stay in this and have fun.
I'll check into MX Tech shop first!

Dave.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I'm in the same boat and it is absoltutely a reasonable request - Your suspension can be revalved to work great in the woods.

The low cost part is the problem, lol, but when its done right it makes a huge difference.

FWIW, my last Honda had suspension set up for the woods by Factory Connection, and it was very plush but still had good bottoming resistance.

Not sure where you are located, but there may be a local tuner who does work in your area. Lots of the fast enduro and cross country racers actually have their setups pretty plush, so you might see who the local offroad racers are using.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The Huck valve in the forks omits all sharp impacts, like bottoming. Ask if he has anything for the shock yet? The Huck valve is not valving, that will be more if needed, same with the springs, worn parts, and the new killer green fork seals. Valving has to do with your speed and your weight. My 2000 shock needed replating. If you have the correct springs saves 250 dollars or so. Be honest with Jeremy about the weight and ability, he knows the rest. What MX Tech done to my bike is well worth it. Vintage Bob

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Yeah, don't get all fantasy mode about your ability. I stretched the truth when I had mine done. I was pissed at myself. Luckily, I actually improved my riding and it's spot on for me now.

Don't get me wrong, I got EXACTLY what I asked for. I am now perfectly happy with my suspension. Thanks to MX-Tech

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom