moronguy

Oct 12, 2003
I have a 2002 YZ426F and back when it was newer I got my suspension set for my weight (140lbs). Well that was in my slimmer days of being a high school wrestler, and since I have put on a few pounds(of muscle of course!) and now weigh around 160lbs. I ride about 40% track, 40% out in the hills and quarries, and about 20% woods/trails. My suspension is good for the woods, but a little soft on the bigger jumps on tracks and freeriding. I was wonder how to go about stiffening my suspension a little, I don't really know the first thing about suspension, I just know how to do a little motor work, and basic maintenance. I kinda know where the adjustment stuff is but don't know what does what. Can anyone help me out or would it be better to get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me? I would like to learn a little on how these things work so any info would be appreciated.

atcomx98

Jan 21, 2007
This is farely long but it is worth it. Well i will try to show you how it works in an easy way. Before thinking about getting another revalve you should try the compression and rebound dampening first. The compressing dampening are located on top of each fork. This allows a certain amount of oil through the forks to make it compress quicker or slower. The comp. dampening in the back is located on the right side on the bike if you were sitting on it facing the front. It is a little bottle looking thing in front of the air box. You can change the comp. dampening by using a flat head screw driver and turning it to a low or high compression. The rebound dampening is located under the forks. The dampening is how quick the suspension springs back up. In the back it is located under the bike. Again use a flat head screw driver to change it. Your bike manual should tell you the standard settings for the comp. and rebound dampening. Try playing around with both of them before thinking about paying 350$ for a revalve.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Stock Spring Rates: for YZ426F
Fork: 0.45 kg/mm
Shock: 5.0 kg/mm
Adjusting to your weight you can start with changing springs, the recomended spring rate for your bike and a 160lbs rider is
Recommended Spring Rates:
Fork: 0.43 kg/mm
Shock: 5.1 kg/mm
You can also use a heavier weighted shock and fork oil, it comes in light, medium and heavy just for this purpose. With thicker oil you can adjust your dampering to get it just right. The spring rates were based on riding MX.

moronguy

Oct 12, 2003
thanks for the tips, I'll try messing with the dampening as soon as the weather clears, up some. Unfortunatly that could be a while. :(

Top Bottom