robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Within the next month or so, I'm planning to have my forks (and possibly my shock) rebuilt/revalved.

In the process, I'm thinking of having the suspension lowered about an inch to make the bike easier to handle on starts given my being vertically challenged - 5'4".

1: Are there any negatives to having this done as far as handling issues in MX?

2: If I choose to have only the forks redone, could I still have them lowered? Is there any way to compensate the shock (without lowering it) so the bike isn't "low in the nose"?

Thanks

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I have my 500AF lowered 1-1/2" front and rear by MX-Tech. I'm 5'6". The bike handles very well and carves corners. The only drawback can be landing large jumps. I would still recommend it. Makes the bike more enjoyable in all situations, especially trail riding.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
darringer said:
I have my 500AF lowered 1-1/2" front and rear by MX-Tech. I'm 5'6". The bike handles very well and carves corners. The only drawback can be landing large jumps. I would still recommend it. Makes the bike more enjoyable in all situations, especially trail riding.

Thanks guys.

Is it really a drawback on big jumps? What do you mean by "big"? A 40 foot double? or a 70 foot SX triple?

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Most all jumps are fine. In the first post I was thinking in the 40-50ft range. The only problems arise when landing wrong and needing the full travel of the suspension. Shortening the suspension makes the bike more prone to bottoming in these situations. Not a major concern, as it's not that drastic of a change. As I stated earlier, I would not hesitate to have the suspension lowered on another bike in the future. Everyone that has ridden my bike that is "vertically challenged" loves it.

motoscooter

Jan 7, 2007
You could also cut the seat. One of the Kawasaki race techs showed me a way to cut the seat. Remove the cover, use a sharpie to mark where you want the seat cut and pull out your turkey carver. This is an inexpensive way to achieve an inch or so if done correctly. An inch to an inch 1/2 wont sacrifice comfort but dont go Griswold on it. Take your time and do it right. Get in the saddle and have someone mark where your butt is. That will give you your start point. Little adjustments should do the trick.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
motoscooter said:
You could also cut the seat. One of the Kawasaki race techs showed me a way to cut the seat. Remove the cover, use a sharpie to mark where you want the seat cut and pull out your turkey carver. This is an inexpensive way to achieve an inch or so if done correctly. An inch to an inch 1/2 wont sacrifice comfort but dont go Griswold on it. Take your time and do it right. Get in the saddle and have someone mark where your butt is. That will give you your start point. Little adjustments should do the trick.

Been there, done that. . . Subframe is already cut. I'm still tiptoe on one foot for starts.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
The only thing I hated about cutting the seat down was my footpeg-seat distance became too cramped. Yeah, turning characteristics will be different, probably better.

Top Bottom