Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
About the end of last july I had Factory connection redo the forks and shock on my drz. When it was done they replaced one bushing, the teflon was peeling. Since then i have ridden probably 600 miles of typical New Englan terrain. Dual sports and regular trail riding. In two crashes the bike caught a small 4 to 6 inch diameter tree just below the fender. Ie the forks stopped the bike. One wasn't bad the other was at a pretty good clip. I was planning on changing the oil myself. Although there is no outward appearance of it, i'm wondering if my the tubes might not be bent or if another bushing might be shedding teflon. Obviously this would mean tearing down the forks. something i have never done.
I'm trying to figure out if i should attempt this myself or just send the schock and forks off to FC and have them do it. FC would cost somewhere in the $200 to $300 plus range by the time you get done paying for shipping and parts etc. In that price range i start to wonder if a little self education might not be worth it. While i'm some what mechanically inclined i'm no ace mechanic and don't have any schock specific tools. what do you guys think. Leave it to the pros or do it myself.

SndyRds

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 1, 2001
This is sort oof a hard question to answer,,, because i've known people who were "not mechanically inclined" who could amazing things and people who "were mechanically inclined" I wouldn't trust wuth a tool, if you get my drift. so know hard feelings. Only you know your level of ability. Anyone can learn, or learn as they go. Lots of people on this site will give you help and advice. Pay attention of things as you go. I might suggest that you talk to your suspension shop and see if they have a problem if you do the work yourself and if you get in a bind if you can send it in to them if you get over your head.

Top Bottom