buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Awhile back I posted something about my susension being too soft for my big butt. At the time I didn't think about it, but from what I've been told, I need to have my springs replaced. The big thing is that the forks have an aftermarket suspension (TUF suspension) sticker on them. From the way the bike looks and some of the aftermarket parts on it, the guy who had it before me probably raced it. Now, should I assume that the forks were completely gone over(springs, revalve, etc.) and that all I need to do is swap out the springs, or should I just swap out the springs regardless and go from there. They feel great except that they are too soft. If the swap is all I need, can it be done w/out a professional, and if so, what's the easiest way. My buddy's work on conventional forks before, but not upside-downers. Also, w/my limited skill and experience, would I really notice a total re-do of my front and rear suspension. A shop in the area(JMC Racing for those in the southeast MI area) said they could do front & rear for $415. At the moment I can't afford that. I'm getting married on Sunday(5/20), going to Cancun the next week and I still need to get knee braces, possibly new boots, new front tire and I could use a new chain(Oh yeah, I also need to send Okie my money for support:) ). Needless to say, funds are a little tight for a while. But I do need to get springs. I've almost bottomed after getting about 6' of air off a 4' jump. Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I wouldn't make any assumptions about what was or was not done to your suspension. Just because it may have been revalved, doesn't mean that the valving will suit you (more likely the opposite).

Start with the springs. Check out what rate you need. Jer should be able to provide you the info you need, or use RTs calculator www.racetech.com

Check out what springs you have in there first. If you can't visually id them, you may have to have them tested. It would be a shame to spend money on springs only to find out that you already have them and the problem is elsewhere.

If you are happy with suspension after that, then leave it. If not consider a revalve, specific to your needs.

Hey, and congratulations!!

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Cool, thanks! Nice site, very informative. With my lack of experience, and w/my buddy's experience w/conven. forks, is replacing the springs something that we can do, or should we really leave it to the pro's? (I AM trying to keep the cost down, but I also want to be able to do as much to my bike as I can by myself, instead of having a mechanic repair the simplest of things for me( and I am fairly mechanically adept)).

PS- Race Tech recommends a 5.52 shock spring rate for me, but all there are are a 5.4 or a 5.6. Given my previous thread, which one? Also, same w/the front, rec. .473, highest I can find is .46. Will there be a bif diff.?

Last edited:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
As for the spring weight thing, just get the next closest for the rear, you can mix fork springs to get closer to the rate you need.

Changing the fork springs is no big deal really. Your manual should outline the procedure. If you are having problems, Jer formerly posted a great article on here about KYB fork dissassembly/reassembly procedure. DO a search, hopefuilly it didn't get lost in the recent changeover. If it did let me know, I made a hard copy.

Fear not...just take your time, you will have no problems.

Good luck!

Top Bottom