DEX

Jun 11, 2003
After a year of racing my KX and buying pipes and porting and all that I have learned that suspension has way more to do with how fast you can drive then anything else as far as changes to the bike.
This year I plan on investing most of my mod money into some private lessons from some local pros and my suspension.

Here is what I was thinking.

I dont think I am at the level yet where I need actual works level suspension or even the fancy coatings Im not sure I could notice the difference.

I am taking my bike into my local Pro Tech suspension and getting him to lower the bike down 1 inch for me as I am too short for the bike right now. I weigh 115 pounds probably around 135 with gear.

I was planning on getting him to revalve the bike to my wieght. With Race Tech 4.4kg/mm shock spring, Race Tech .39kg/mm Fork springs, a Race Tech Gold Valve kit for front and rear suspension, Race Tech fork and shock oil.

I was also planning on asking his opinion on whether or not it would be worth it to add Race tech outer and inner Fork bushings, damping rod bushing and a Pro Circuit Bladder cap.

Just looking for some additional opinions to consider.
Also any suggestions on other worthwhile suspension mods that are worth the money, I am interested in hearing about.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
Ok looks like I am going to go without the fancy bushings, bladder cap or gold valves.
My local suspension tuner says unlike my KX the Yz has good enough suspension that it doesnt need these things like my KX did (i didnt get this stuff on my KX but I always hated the way the suspension worked it sucked)

dante

Mar 24, 2004
dude it sounds to me like you've got things pretty well figured out... it's not very often you hear people say suspention is more important than pipes, or whatever performance parts but it's true...

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Often with suspension alot of extra money doesnt get much extra performance, but if you want it all and can afford it then go for it, the gold valve isnt the latest technology but its the valving for the piston that needs to be dialed.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
So what your saying is I would be better off maybe getting the guys who do my suspension to come out to my track and do some testing with me to make sure the suspesion is adjusted perfectly for my weight, style and speed than to spend the extra bucks on parts for the suspension like for example the Pro Circuit Bladder Cap.

I am sure I could get the guys to come up to my track and do some testing for an hour for 50 bucks or less to get my suspension dialed in the best possible if thats what you mean.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I would skip all the trick stuff and definatly get them to come to the track-in fact what you said is one of the most intelliegent ideas ive read on the forums for a while-i think you have got your priorities right:)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I was also planning on asking his opinion on whether or not it would be worth it to add Race tech outer and inner Fork bushings, damping rod bushing and a Pro Circuit Bladder cap

these are the parts i personally wouldnt bother with-not that they dont work , just that the extra money is better spent on the guys coming out testing with you.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
That was what I figured they were parts that did make a difference but not enough of a difference that it would actually change anything you could notice enough to benifit from it.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I agree with Marcus Dex, having a good tuner them watch you ride and tune specifically for you is definitely the way to go. Anthony and Adam are money well spent ;)

Top Bottom