santod

Aug 28, 2005
I am in the process of gathering parts for my suspension upgrade. Currently everything is stock and I will be going with .38 springs in the forks and a 4.8 shock spring.

I wanted to run gold valves in the forks. Do I have to setup the shock with a gold valve also to keep the bike in balance?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
No.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
santod said:
I am in the process of gathering parts for my suspension upgrade. Currently everything is stock and I will be going with .38 springs in the forks and a 4.8 shock spring.

I wanted to run gold valves in the forks. Do I have to setup the shock with a gold valve also to keep the bike in balance?

I switched to KX forks and have Honda .38 fork springs with custom spacer left over. These are much better than FRP's, Race Tech springs. If your interested in them make me an offer.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Okie-KDX is correct :laugh:

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Question If your switching to .38, why are you changing the rear spring?? The stock rear spring in conjuction with the .38's should have you balance pretty well, considering that the rear spring is sprung for approx. 180 rider & the same with the .38's. The stock springs are set for a approx. 150lb. rider. Just asking, cause you can save yourself a few bucks

santod

Aug 28, 2005
Right now I can only get about 88mm of sag with the 5.0 rear spring with 1.5 inches of bike sag. I like to get closer to the 100mm of sag. Everything I read says over 1 inch of bike sag equals a lighter srping. I weigh 155 lbs without gear.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
santod said:
Right now I can only get about 88mm of sag with the 5.0 rear spring with 1.5 inches of bike sag. I like to get closer to the 100mm of sag. Everything I read says over 1 inch of bike sag equals a lighter srping. I weigh 155 lbs without gear.

I weigh 197lbs without gear and my 5.0 rear spring I am able to get a 100mm of race sag with 1 inch of static sag. The .38 fork springs I used was a big improvement over the OEM (.35 springs). However, IMO it was still too light of a spring for my weight. My KX forks are .43 and they work great on my KDX. IMO you're on the right track.

chabat

Oct 11, 2004
Adding kx forks:

Will that allow you to tackle bigger jumps (ie stiffer front suspenion)?

Or are people doing this just because the kx has better front suspension period -- for off road OR mx?

I assume the stock kdx forks are tuned to be plush in off-road?

Jeff Sexton

~SPONSOR~
Sep 7, 2001
The KDX forks have a lot of inherent flex and about four inches of underhang - the part of the fork that hangs below the axle. Switching to the KX fork provides a more rigid and better tracking front end. Not only that, but the KX forks are infinitely more tuneable than the KDX forks because the compression base valve can be tuned for low, mid, and high speed compression and the KX forks are adjustable for rebound as well. You don't get that in the stock KDX fork.

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
KDX200Kev said:
I switched to KX forks and have Honda .38 fork springs with custom spacer left over. These are much better than FRP's, Race Tech springs. If your interested in them make me an offer.
Kev, I'm having difficulty using the "contact user directly" feature. Could you please get in touch with me: blackduc98 at yahoo dot com

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
chabat said:
Adding kx forks:

1) Will that allow you to tackle bigger jumps (ie stiffer front suspenion)?

2) Or are people doing this just because the kx has better front suspension period -- for off road OR mx?

3) I assume the stock kdx forks are tuned to be plush in off-road?

1) It will allow you to land without having your teeth knocked out from impact. BUT STILL it's not an MX'er

2) The KX Forks are JUST BETTER PERIOD!!!!!!!!! Handling is by far SUPERIOR and the overall ride in the rocks, whoops, sand, loam, roots, etc. is a Pleasure compared to the OEM/Conventional Forks.
3) They are tuned for a 150lb. Trail Rider (TRAIL RIDING). If all you do is just ride leasurly, than the 43mm Conventionals should be fine, BUT if you plan on REALLY HAVING FUN, then you will either have to RE-SPRING the Forks or Swap them out.
IMHO

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
blackduc98 said:
Kev, I'm having difficulty using the "contact user directly" feature. Could you please get in touch with me: blackduc98 at yahoo dot com

Sent you an e-mail. Let me know if your interested or not. Thanks

blackduc98

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Dec 19, 2005
BTW, I was looking at the fork parts diagrams for a '97 and an '02 kdx 200 today. I came across an interesting tidbit of info. Assuming I interpret the diagrams correctly, the forks look identical, except for springs:<table border=1 cellpadding=5>
<tr><td></td><td>1997 fork springs </td> <td> 2002 fork springs</td></tr>
<tr><td>stock</td><td>44026-1570 </td> <td> 44026-1574</td></tr>
<tr><td>option A</td><td>44026-1574</td> <td> 44026-1575</td></tr>
<tr><td>option B</td><td>44026-1575</td> <td> 44026-1576</td></tr>
<tr><td>option C</td><td>44026-1576</td> <td> 44026-1638</td></tr>
</table>
I am assuming that A, B, C, refer to heavier-than-stock optional springs. Note that the stock '02 is the same as '97 (A). In other words, '02 has a heavier stock springs. I wonder what the actual spring rates are.

Last edited:

Top Bottom