Suspension questions?

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
I was looking at my owner's manual the other day (I have '93 KX250). I noticed in the section about suspension, it said if I lower the two nuts on the monoshock (or compress the monoshock), it'll make the suspension stronger.

Does that mean, when I hit a jump, there will be more of a kick by the rear suspension, or less of a kick. Stronger can mean two different things in this case.

Any help is definitely appreciated.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Like Mr. Garrison says on South Park: "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people".

Just kiddin' with ya!

I assume what is meant by "lowering the nuts" they are referring to the pre-load rings on the shock spring. If so, then in this case by "lowering" (tightening) them, it adds more pre-load to the spring and therefore the spring will "feel" stiffer (stronger, harder, etc.).

m'kay?

kevin5758

Sponsoring Member
Mar 15, 2003
Use the two nuts on the shock to set your sag. The basic rule is to put the bike on a stand, and measure straight up to the fender. Record that number. Sit on the bike and measure again. You want the rear to sag 3.75 - 4" or 95 - 100mm. Set this first and then see if you are getting your "kick" off jumps. (not exactly sure what you mean by that)

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I saw my friends wife in the pits one day and her Daschunds Nuts were dragging the ground . Guess they need to be tightened up. HA!

vznx1w

Dec 7, 2000
Be aware that when you increase spring preload the rear will rebound faster--which could get you in trouble, especially on a mis-timed landing. You may want to add one or two clicks of rebound.

Steve

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…