firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well I had the chance to take my suspension in to a local shop and have it redone, so I went ahead. I always hear people say that it makes a huge difference, but I also always thought I am not good enough to really need it.

Well I took it to Pete Russell, owner of Novation Off-Road Suspension. He is the son of the local KTM dealer and has devised a unique valve that I don't even have enough technical knowledge to understand how it works. He has ridden KTMs for years, however, so I trust his expertise. I picked it up Friday, was up past midnight on Saturday putting it back together (which I did all by myself, thankyouverymuch) and raced all weekend on brand-new suspension.

What a difference! Now let's get the fact that I am not very fast out of the way first. But I could definitely tell a difference. Landing jumps was much less brutal, especially since I am not clearing very much so I do a lot of bouncing over stuff. Also whoops have always been my weakest point and the bike definitely tracks better through them. I can lean back and actually get on the throttle a little more now. I also noticed in corners that it feels 100% more stable. I can lean it over farther and it feels like it just wants to go wherever I point it.

I'm sure that if I was a better rider I could tell you all about the low-speed compression damping or whatever but sadly, I just can't really tell things like that when I ride. But I am completely thrilled about the way my bike feels now!

The cool thing about Novation is that he uses a different valve in the forks. It has screws on the bottom so that you can fine-tune your own suspension far beyond the range that normal clickers allow. From woods to supercross, he gives you a guide to the different settings. There is only one screw, the mid-range adjustment, that I will need to mess with, he said. Fine by me! Too much of that stuff is confusing. It's a great set-up though.

Anyway, two thumbs up for Novation. Pete does good work, gives great support and is definitely dedicated to the sport.

www.novationsuspension.com

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Just a revalve, I already bought a new shock spring and the fork springs were good. You'd have to talk to Pete for pricing--every bike is different.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
The only thing about better suspension is that if you don't ride it aggressive, like it was meant to be ridden, it won't work as well. I've found that in cross country and hare scramble races that when I am having a good race and keep up the aggressiveness at a high level, my bike rides like butta. However, when I start getting lazy and tired, it tends to beat on me a little. I agree though, revalved suspension will make anybody a better rider.

BTW, mine was done by Scotty Hanes owner of Performance Factory MX (link in my sig line). He was a DW sponsor last year, and does excellent work. Sorry, had to get in a plug of my own in your plug. :)

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
I've never spent a dime trying to make my engine better, but suspension is so important to me. My 200 is a dream to ride now compared to stock. $ well spent imo. I know at your weight that the stock shock spring had to be too heavy and you probably already shortened the sub frame. The bike is set up for someone much heavier than you and a little lighter than me. The engine is sweet for a lighter rider.
Will you be trying your luck at the Washogal worcs?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
The only thing about better suspension is that if you don't ride it aggressive, like it was meant to be ridden, it won't work as well.

I disagree--even at my slow pace, my bike felt much better. The adjustability of Pete's SS valve lets you set the bike up for anything from moto to tight woods, and he has pretty good instincts as to how to set it up--his settings felt great to me.

I know at your weight that the stock shock spring had to be too heavy and you probably already shortened the sub frame.

I did put a new shock spring on the rear, the PDS 0, but I did not mess with the subframe. I can touch the ground on tip-toes and aside from a few awkward dismounts on uneven ground, I have had no problems.

Will you be trying your luck at the Washogal worcs?

Maybe . . . I'd certainly like to, but money is in question right now. I shouldn't but I might anyway.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Could be the way mine is set up...

Top Bottom