rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I know that on a full size bike the rear suspension should be set for 1" of static sag and 4" of race sag.

That is for a bike that has 12 inches of travel.

My adult daughter is "vertically challenged" but is also a bit on the heavy side. I recently bought her a Yamaha TTR-125LE, which has 6.6" of rear suspension travel. Obviously 4" of sag would be too much.

What would be a good number?

She has surprised me in how well she has adapted to the bike and she is now bottoming out the suspension. I cranked a bit more preload into the rear suspension, which has helped. I figure what I really need is a stiffer spring.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.

Rod McInnis

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Keep going the way you are, as long as the static sag is still some? The 1" may mot be valid either? No set up specs for the TTR, please do not tell me all trail bikes, are not given these basic suspension set up specs? Shop manual? If not, its on you, or someone thats been there done that, and all sorts of variables? How about a TTR hop up site? I believe you can do it! take notes, crank the spring till NORMALLY aggressive riding bottoms it out, keep the dampening in the middle if you have it. Severe and bad landing bottom outs do not count. Changes to the rear, change the front the same each time. Got to keep it even. Vintage Bob

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
The factory manual doesn't say crap about setting up the suspension for the TTR125. Hell, other than spring preload you have no adjustments to make!

The factory manual says this when referring to adjusting preload...
REAR SHOCK ABSORBER SPRING PRELOAD ADJUSTMENT

1. Elevate the rear wheel by placing the
suitable stand under the engine.

2. Remove: lLeft side cover

3. Loosen: Locknut 1

4. Adjust: Spring preload
By turning the adjuster
About your only option without changing the suspension up quite a bit is the BBR spring.

kawamaha

Mar 16, 2005
rmc_olderthandirt said:
I know that on a full size bike the rear suspension should be set for 1" of static sag and 4" of race sag.

That is for a bike that has 12 inches of travel.

My adult daughter is "vertically challenged" but is also a bit on the heavy side. I recently bought her a Yamaha TTR-125LE, which has 6.6" of rear suspension travel. Obviously 4" of sag would be too much.

What would be a good number?
usually the race sag should be approx. 1/3 of the travel. in your case 2.2" is a good number too start with.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
go with the 1/3 rule like kawamaha said , it is a real good starting point.
More than likely the BBR spring is way stiffer than stock.
You could call canon racecraft and get a softer one .

Top Bottom