Suspension Set-Up for Woods riding

YZThumper

~SPONSOR~
Aug 6, 2001
I have a 00 YZ426 that I ride in the woods only. Typically I ride tight, rocky single track. I'm 5'10 220 lbs. I love the power characteristics of this bike, but the suspension punishes me all day long till I'm a mere pile of skin and goo :ugg: . Even the smallest rocks and roots feel as though I've run over a boulder or a California Red Wood. I've not adjusted either the shock or forks since I purchased the bike new, so everything should be set to stock specs. Without dropping a few hundred dollars to have a professional revalve and re-spring the forks and shock, how can get the most out of my stock suspension and get the best set up for my weight and type of riding. ?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
i cant give you specifics...but just start playing with the clickers. I would suggest write down where its all set now....and do just fork first, then shock...and just mess with say compression dampening first then mess with rebound. check out the various links for suspension shops most have a suspension set up guide of some sort. Check out your manual for the bike as well.

based on what you are saying...try backing off compression dampening 2 clicks, see how it feels...then go from there. i am sure others (hey Jeremy!) will chime in with some more specific settings!

(please note...i am no expert at all!...so with my good advice and 50 cents you likely cant even buy a cup of coffee!)

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
ktm mike my 50 c with ur's we got us a cup lol. ok u need to chk sag first this like springs all has to do with ur weight .on to springs n clickers can u get ur suspension set right without changing springs (at least fork) doubt it.i think they build these damn things for 5"8 150 lb riders.i'm 6' 1 180 -85.not bein a great rider i found a softer setup getting me feelin more confident it's stayin under me in rocks n roots hence i go better than i used to,less deflecting n bouncin around.i learned a setup for one thing suffers elsewhere ...jeremy got me back on track though good luck

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Well KTM Mike right.. Start at a baseline, set-your sag see how your springs are working and go from there with a good tunning guide.

If your willing to exsperiment you'll make your suspension better.

BR,
Jer

Aholland

Jun 14, 2002
To fine tune some of these answers: set your sag at 100 millimeters (10 centemeters). With you off the bike (no weight), measure from the rear axle to a frame bolt near the rear fender. Now stand on the bike with all your gear and measure the same points. You should have "sagged" down 10 cm....approx 4 inches. You adjust your sag by tightening or in this case I assume loosening the main rear shock spring until you get that measurement. That will set the rear spring correctly for your weight....Heh, I', 235lbs and you might be 135 lbs, that's why there is an adjustment. Having done that, you can now play with the compression and dampening adjusters. I would suggest adjusting each 2 clicks at a time as I can never tell a one click difference. Hopethis helps on the rear end.

I do not know enough about this years front end. Typically front ends cannot have their spring rates reduced without changing springs. You can add some stiffness (not your problem) with heavier oil weight, more oil weight, or a small spacer on top of the spring to increase initial compression. Some small softening ofthe suspension can be had by lowering the oil, or lighteningthe oil weight in the front shocks. Consult your factory manual, or a clymer manual to see what the standard, minimum and maximum oil content of the forks should be....you should be able to go to one oil weight lighter without too much problem.

Alex

Top Bottom