Suspension set-up help for DRZ400.

RM80kid

Jan 2, 2001
I just bought a 2002 DRZ400E and am having a little trouble setting up the suspension. I do not intend to do motocross with this bike, but would like it to fly level when I encounter the 2 or 3 foot jump in the woods. I don't know if the front end is dropping or if the rear is kicking up. How can I tell? The rear seems to feel right when riding over normal rough woods stuff, but will sometime kick out left or right when I don't think it should. Right now I have the high speed comp. set at 2 turns out and the rebound set at 12 clicks out. Race sag is just about 4 inches. The forks are set at 12 and 12. I am 6' tall and weigh 190 without gear. The bars are too low and I feel that I and too far over the front end when I launch. Could it be the way I am biasing my weight? I ask this because my son weighs the same as me but is 5'8" and is further back on the bike, and it flys level for him. We both just came off of KLX300's and those bikes flew very level. There aren't as many adjustments on those bike either, so they were easier to dial in. As I experiment with the rebound damping on the shock things seem to be getting better. I just need a little guidance to get me going in the right direction. Thanks for the help!

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
RMK,
Adjust the compression firmer in the forks and replace the springs as a minimum. The bike can work well, but is a little out of bias front to rear stock.

Check out my tunning guide.

BR,
Jer

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Yes...to a point it will, then you might start to have problems elsewhere though. What kind of obstacles will it kick out on?... a single bump or into a series?

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
thanks shocknut my kdx racetech springs g valves /shock revalve,i softened it up for the woods (rocks,roots etc).happy there but on a jump when i leave the up ramp i notice it threw up the rear ,no biggie a rev lands me ok but i would rather fly straight off.i thought i was letting off too soon...nope.it also had a bit,just a bit of swap hammerin whoopie stuff so i went 2 clicks in w rebound .goin ridin today i'll let ya know.i used to like a stiffer setup overall but i found goin as soft as i can get away with was an overall better ride?i'm not a racer or a big jump jumper so softer is better for me exept for my takeoff issue.jeremy or shocknut whadda ya think?
thanks

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Hey Shocknut, what about more compression? :)

BR,
Jer

DC,
While I give my freind a hardtime, I would speculatge that you are compression packing and actually going stiffer on compression and posibly softer on rebound would help.. ITs a fine line in this circumstance and either one of us could be right. I try to figure out wehter its your linkage getting stiff defelction (which would be solved by goingf stiffer on comp) or if your allready passed the compression cycle.

Jumps and whoops sideways is all I needed to hear..

BR,
Jer

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom