nos96

Jun 3, 2002
I recently bought a 99 CR125, the previous owner did alot of suspension adjusting to attempt to lower the ride height but it was all wrong. I had my local shop adjust the rear shock (sag) but now I am concerned that he may have tampered with all of the other suspension settings. The problem is...I have no idea how to adjust the suspension and wich clicker does what. I bought the Eric Gorr book but to use his suggestions you need some basic knowledge of what does what and where to begin. So I am lost. The bike seems to ride good and has yet to bottom but I may not know what correct feels like. I know this will require a lot of explanation, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not have the manual and know I need to get one. If it helps, I am about 5'10" weighing in at 190 lbs.

Last edited:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Do you have the manual? My suggestion is if you are happy with it ride it. But since you are new to tuning read THIS guide right here.
http://www.mx-tech.com/tuning.asp

If you can turn all your clickers in back to there stock setting, but if you feel you have a good baseline right now, go with it. But if you want it to be perfect for you go back to stock setting and have fun tuning! :aj:

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Nos,
The manual is such a good place to start! The bike when put back to the stock settings as CR told you will be pretty decent. Focus on rididng beter and when youre suspension starts to feel bad, then you know its time to do something. Until then your fine!

Best Regards,
Jer

nos96

Jun 3, 2002
thanks for all of your help. I wen tot get a manual yesterday but had to order it, at any rate I will have it soon. My only worry is that my suspension will prevent me from becoming a better rider...or hurt me one. The pre load was so off that the rear spring was not staying seated properly and rubbing the shock housing. Fortunatly that is fixed now.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
NOS ; Maybe you could find a friend or someone on a forum with the same bike as you and same similar ability, see what they are doing . That might help youi determine a baseline. Like Jeremy says get a manual they have troubleshooting/spring rates etc. Thats your first step . Then when you get a good setup the only thing holding you bsack is your ability which will progress with time. Youre a bit big for that bike but it should work pretty well all stock as long as its in good working order.Try to diagnose what it needs ie: stiffer/softer etc yourself so you can make an informed decision before laying down big money somewhere. Pretty Simple really . GOOD LUCK

nos96

Jun 3, 2002
thanks for all of the advise. I know that I am a bit big for the bike but every 250 I rode previous to me purchasing was just too much bike for my lack of expirence and I feel a little more confident that I have control on a 125. As my skills increase I plan to step up to a CR250. Hopefully this one can last me a year or so... Thanks again

Top Bottom