Suspension Settings for Rocky Terrain???

cochran03

Aug 29, 2007
I'm going to chadwick in 2 weeks and I'm hearing that its pretty rocky. I've got a 97 kdx220r modded. My suspension is pretty stiff and I have new/harder Race-Tech springs on the front. I'm trying to figure out how to best set my dampening and rebound clickers to be a little more gentle on my rearend when I'm on rocky terrain. What are your preferrable settings? Anyone have an idea what I need to do to soften both front and rear a little without giving up too much stiffness?

Thanks,

Aaron

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
For rocks, you want less high speed compression damping. Your stiffer springs will not be as big a problem as having too much high speed damping. Unfortunately, the clickers on your KDX will have their biggest impact on slow speed compression damping.

Since you dont' have the luxury of revalving, I would just back off the compression damping several clicks front and rear. The forks are where you need to make the biggest change. How many clicks depends on where you are set now. Changing from 1 clikc out tow 3 clicks (2 additional clicks) makes a much bigger difference than going form 11 to 13 out.

KDX's are notorious for having soft springs, and Kawasaki uses too much high speed compression damping to compensate. When you try to go fast in serious rocks, guys with plush suspension (revalved without so much high speed damping) will have an advantage.

cochran03

Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for the help guys. I'll play around with it. I think if I soften up the compression and increase the rebound a smidge. I should be good to go :cool: . Thanks

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
theKDX200rider said:
I have a '97 KDX200 set on the slightly softer side (not too soft). It is one of the best rock bikes I ever ridden.
Yeah the stock springs were great in medium to bigger rocks and boulders. they suck in loose shale, pea gravel and sand

cochran03

Aug 29, 2007
ridejunky said:
Yeah the stock springs were great in medium to bigger rocks and boulders. they suck in loose shale, pea gravel and sand

Kinda makes me wish I had the stock springs back. Along with the well broken in 8 year old seat. I've now got the race tech springs for my 185 pounds, and a new seat. Makes things a lot less plush cadillac boat riding.

Top Bottom