KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I am looking for some advice on a good starting point for setting up the suspension on my 97 300exc. I bought the bike used so have no idea of wha the "stock" set up was. Overall I think the suspension does "ok" - but want to see what more I can get out of it.

In general I would say it is rather plush and softly sprung. It tends to push the front end a bit in cornering. In deep whoops it tends to be a bit of a handful (that is likely more a problem with me than the bike though!) I can never seem to avoid dropping the front end into the whoop to deep. I get a decent headshake at higher speeds occasionally.

For back ground - I am not a particularily aggressive rider, but do ok, just started racing C class enduro here in Michigan, ride a fair bit of local single track. Overall I would say I am a low end intermediate I guess. 185 lbs plus gear

So - any suggestions for a baseline starting point?

TIA

ID 360mxc

Feb 24, 2001
I have a 97 360mxc the shock compression seting is 17 clicks cc.Rebound is18 clicks cc.Forks on the 50mm marzocchis 10 clicks out on reboud and comp. I run 7.5 wt oil in the reboud and 10 wt. in the comp. at 130mm from the top spring out and tube collapsed. you can play around with the clickers and add more compression to fight bottoming. I went with a 5.6 cg. in the back and .46 in the front from racetech.Hope this helps.:)

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
ID 360MXC - thanks - thats just what i was looking for - a starting point! I will mess with the set up this weekend and see what happens. Dont even know where its at now as have not played with it since i bought the bike. Any other suggestions still appreciated!

ID 360mxc

Feb 24, 2001
If your CDI box is still on the side of the steering head you can relocate it under the tank. I fabricated my own bracket but you can get it from ktm. Then you can take the steering stops out and cut them down so it will turn.Coming off of CR's I had to do something. :)

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by ID 360mxc
If your CDI box is still on the side of the steering head you can relocate it under the tank. I fabricated my own bracket but you can get it from ktm. Then you can take the steering stops out and cut them down so it will turn.Coming off of CR's I had to do something. :)

thanks - the cdi has already been relocated - i had not thought about cutting down the stops though - i take it they are more limiting than CR's - cant say i every thought about that one - my last bike was a much older CR. I tried your suggested starting point on the clickers- major improvement particuarily up front. On the rear still have some playing around to do. What sag would you suggest?

Top Bottom