suspension shops and midvalve tuning

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Do most suspension shops also revalve the midvalve also as included in the normal revalving job? I'm pretty sure I will be shopping for a place to send my suspension, forks and shock, before long. I have come to hate my bike so bad... I just want to try a few things before.

I have dropped the oil level down to 390cc but that doesn't seem to be enough. Stock is 403cc with .44 springs. I will try to go even lower, maybe 370cc. Any ideas? I'm 155lb, 5'8, intermediate, motocross only.

The shock is even worse. The rebound can't be adjusted to work in sand tracks. Is it just me? Last time I serviced it, I put 175lb nitrogen. Would it be worth it trying 150lb of N2. Or, it's a basket case and it needs a revalve.

What shop has good experience with Showas?

Thanks for the replies!

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
My experience is that very few shops will do much at all to anything other than the compression valving, springs and oil height. Racetech have a philosophy of converting the midvalve to a check valve. This is done mainly to ensure consistancy for their valving specs. Personally I prefer to maintain the midvalve and valve it for effect. Some of the problems with the CRs are insufficient rebound damping and falling through the stroke. I doubt your average tuner will address this effectively.
If you are seeking out a tuner ask him what he will do to ensure the best results. If you are unhappy with the answers, find someone else.
Regards
Terry Hay

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Also on the shock, the rebound valving is very funky-you have to get it revalved-it will not work correctly with the adjusters or any other mods.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
NOHAND after a year on the bike there is a maintenance factor with the mid valve shims usually anyway as they tend to bend or dish and sometimes need replacement or at least flipping. on the Showa forks sometimes the inner cartridge seal on the damper rod starts leaking and the cartridge loses oil, gets aerated, forks might seem to drop then get a spike due to low oil volume in inner cartridge. Weve got alot of sand out here on east coast and on The newer Hondas I always seem to add a fair share to the rebound stack on the shock esp with stiffer rear spring. The top out spring can kinda create a weird feel on the hondas and I think maybe they set up light rebound stack to accomidate.The shock seal sometimes seems to weep on the newer Hondas esp when it gets real cold out. MXTECH has a new design seal that help that out . I dont think its the nitrogen pressure as I doubt most riders could feel a 20lb difference. It seems to me as thouigh the Showa shocks seem to get airated also , more so than others even with careful attention to bleeding when serviced. That can create some inconsistencies. GOODLUCKMYFRIEND

Last edited:
Top Bottom