kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
I ordered the .42kg springs from Race Tech to throw in the forks. I utilitzed their website to calculate the spring rate and also went with their US-1 / 2.5-5 weight oil.
I would like to know any recommendations to set preload, oil level and settings on the clickers.
I weigh 190 and ride very hard in technical terrain that consists of rocks, roots and mud.
One word..... VERMONT!!
P.S. I would like to see the initial travel very forgiving then ramp up to resist bottoming. I just spent my wad on all of the engine mods that this site and Jeff Fredette list, so I don't want to get in to gold valves just yet.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Go for 10mm of preload, like Race Tech suggests. Start at the lowest on the oil level, then go ride. If it is bottoming, start adding small, equal amounts to each side until it is how you like it, or at the maximum height in the manual. If it is way off on the first try, just squirt some bolume through the air bleeder bolts and don't even worry about partly disassembling and taking out the springs (not much, so be careful).

Are you 190, or are you 190 in full riding gear?

You have some terrific springs and oil, so valving is indeed the next step for you. For now, to keep it on the cheap, oil level and preload is all that you have to play with. Think of preload as a way to adjust the angle of a bike with the proper spring rates. Stick with the oil weight you have. If you are not happy with how it feels with a normal amount of preload, normal fork weight, varying oil heights and those springs, then YES, it will be valving time.

Good luck with it, and congratulations on getting the good stuff! :-)

kdennan

Jan 1, 2006
I am probably hitting 200 with my gear on.
Thanks for the reply. I will try it all out if we ever get spring up here.

Top Bottom