Suspension Upgrade?

zip

Feb 19, 2005
I am in the process of changing my rear shock spring from a 5.0 to 5.2 race tech. I already did the front fork springs earlier in the season and loved the improvement. This may be a stupid question but lets say I am not the most mechanically inclined person you will meet. I removed the old shock spring and am working on putting on the new one. The fit is real tight and I am having trouble getting the circle clip at the bottom of the shock in because I cant get the spring compressed enough. something tells me there has got to be an easier way to get the new spring in. I did loosen the adjusters at the top all the way off. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

TriniG

Feb 5, 2002
You need to go to a friendly mechanic a use a spring compressor tool. It clamps on like fingers and tightens together, leaving room for putting the nuts and circlips on.

zip

Feb 19, 2005
Thanks guys. I actually ended up using a threaded rod with two blocks to tighten the spring down. After that I wired the spring on each side and removed the rod. This made it real easy to get the spring in place.. Worked excellent for somebody to lazy to go out and buy the tool.

Thanks for the input. Hopefully somebody as lazy as me can use that idea.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…