IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
anyone have exp. with foreign suv's? i have had two explorers and a current tahoe. all junk. i have finally sworn off anything american and am int. in the toyota sequoia primarily. any help?

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
I have had 2 4-runners. My first was a 91'. It had a 3.0L v-6 and manual trans. I bought this truck with 40K miles and drove it till it was totaled in a wreck...I was rearended. When it was totaled, it had 130K miles on it and it was still running very strong! The insurance company gave me $11,000 for it and I went right out and bought a new 99' 4-runner limited. I have 72K miles on it and have had no problems at all. The motor is a 3.4L v-six and has lots of power. It has an automatic transmission and a few features I really like. It has a locking rear differential, a special towing feature called "ECT" which is a button you push to gear down the transmission. As for the new v-8 powered runner's I am sure they are even better since they have more power. Toyota's seem to be priced higher, but based on my past experience, I would continue to buy them. They are extremely reliable and they hold their value better than a domestic SUV. However, repairs are higher, but than again when was the last time you saw a broken down 4-runner by the side of the road? Good luck in making your choice and I hope this helps the decision process for you.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Spent about, oh gee it's been so long its hard to remember, about $7,500?
(est)
On my 1990 Ford Bronco 2 (Explorer's daddy, and basically the same except shorter. more "Broncoish".)
The old gal's sportin about 142,000 miles now.
She's gone thru a front hub, fuel pump, couple a u joints, and a tranny modulater.
The hub ($450) was done under warranty. and very well and quickly i might ad.
This little mule has done everything from transport to work every day, to haulin furniture, engine blocks, and every other concevable kind of crap around town. (on a 4'x8' trailer of course) :cool:
To haulin my old XL, gas and about every tool i own plus gear to dirtweek last year. about 1,550.6 miles.
Comfortable as sittin on my living room couch.
good sterio, AC, and alum mags to boot.
My only gripe is it could use a bit more "oomph". (145 bhp.)
It's U.S.A. built and im proud of it!
I cant really gripe about the Japanese thing being as those wonderful (most of em anyways) dirtbikes are built over there.
But dont sell America short. We build some pretty damn good stuff over here too ya know! :thumb:

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
oh, and on a sort of side note.
who the #@!! coined the term "SportUtilityVehicle"???
The Broncos were sporty.
Blazers (god love em) were sporty.
Ramchargers were sporty.
Jeeps, Landcruisers (?), and Scouts were sporty.

Please tell me where to find the "sport" in a 5,000 pound plus 4 DOOR behemoth that can barely get out of its own way.
Nothin wrong with em, dont get me wrong, but SPORT???
4 door and sport are sorta like cross country touring on a YZ125. :laugh:
Mebbe, hmmmm, howsabout AAT AllTerrainTransport?
Or FUT FourwheeldriveUtilityVehicle?
Or FourwheeldriveAllterrainTransport........uh.......F.A.T.?........might be right for me. :laugh:

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
thanks guys. think i'll try a 4-runner. also, onanysunday; is there any good riding between farmington and albuquerque? sure a lot of good looking terrain.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I bought a 2003 Nissan Frontier, crew cab and have no complaints.. I have 15,000 miles on it already and it still acts like the 1st day i brought it home.. Nissan is coming out w/a full sive suv, the Armada, it has a v-8 too.. May want too take a look at them.. Plus they are built in Mississippi.. :)
Rick

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Irish, dont know about between Farmington and Alb. but theres good riding at those 2 places.
Theres the "Glade" BLM area just outside Farmington, and a nice MX track at Aztec NM. Wich just had their final races of the year last weekend, so the track's pretty much free game on weekends now. :yeehaw:
VintageDirt knows all the hot spots in Albuquerque.
Went ridin at a place called "Southern" -w- him and Beef706 last year, it was pretty cool!

Top Bottom