Suzuki dealership ~ purchase for out-of-state buyer info. needed

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
I am saving my pennies for a new Suzuki 125. It won a shootout or two and I want a new bike come late spring, early summer.

Anyone have recommendation(s) and a dealership that has good prices? What I am thinking of doing is buying from out of Texas to avoid the 8.25% sales tax. I could drive to North Louisiana South West Mississippi or South Oaklahoma but I dont know if you have to pay sales tax if you pick them up. Or I could get the bike shipped.

Any advise/recommdantions is appreciated.

Thanks,
Slips :thumb:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Try F&S Suzuki in Ohio, they have great deals and can ship it, no tax.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
If your state registers/titles dirtbikes, you probably won't be able to avoid the tax.

Sales tax is still reqquired on an out of state purchase. It is called "Use Tax." However, it is self-assessed, and hardly anybody pays it. But, it is the law.

Scott

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Thanks again. I was unable to contact F&S through directory assistance. I need the city or town name. Havent tried yet on the internet as I just got in from work.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Ouch, wish I could delete the last thread. Found them immediately in Dayton using Yahoo and F&S instead of F and S. Any more dealerships you folks think are great ?

Thanks again,
Slips

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
If you want a title you will have to pay tax. You may avoid the sales tax where you buy the bike, but you won't get a title either. You will get a bill of sale. Then when you go to get the title in Texas, you will have to pay "use tax" at that time.

If you don't intend to title it, you're okay. But most buyers of used bikes want titles.

Jon K.

~SPONSOR~
Mar 26, 2001
I live in Louisiana and often buy bikes in Mississippi. When I do buy in Mississippi; the dealer is required to fill out the dreaded "Orange Paper" and send it to Louisiana.

Then it is up to you to carry the papers down to the DMV and apply for a title and registration. They are nice enough to collect the tax $$ at that point.

However, if you do not volunteer to pay your taxes and fees, the State will send a nasty note, charge you some stiff penalties, and flag your drivers license. :whiner:

Texas? I don't know.

Best Suzuki dealer (that I know about) in Mississippi is Hattiesburg Cycle. Hattiesburg, Miss. Ask for Glen.

Slips

Jan 24, 2004
Thanks John K. I had no idea that was the way it worked. I guess the state has to collect for an offroad bike to pay for roads. Really annoying.

I spoke with Mark at F&S today. That guy is really helpful! I felt like he cared more about me than he did making a buck. Good deal he can offer on the bike and he gave some tips/pointers that really impressed me.

When I get ready to get one (hopefully soon) they definately are in the lead for my business.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
When I bought mine I got a Ohio title, which I will give to the person who buys it from me along with a bill of sale. I did not get an IL. title for it since I am not getting plates, it is fully insured, and I have had not gotten a letter from my state and will never pay sales tax on it.

Top Bottom