Malevolent77

Feb 11, 2004
Hello all..

This question will probably make you all ROTFL.. I guess..

Anyhow..
I've been turning my head 360 degrees around my bike, but still I can't find any sign of VIN-number or identification signs..

Where am I supposed to look? This is driving me crazy since I have seven other bikes which almost flashes the engine number and frame number..

Please.. Anyone..

I've seen a few pictures of different models, and this is for sure a bike between '76-'83.. I've got the "old" model of seat, and what I think, this might be a 83 year model, but I really need to know..

I've seen a few models, but is there no RM 250 manufactured between 1979-1982? Found on the internet models starting on '76 to '77 and then '78.. and then a big jump to '83.

I would love some kind of help.
I really need to find out the year of this little baby to be able to restore it in perfect condition.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this!

/Peter

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Usually it is at the stearing stem. Behind the front number plate. If the frame has been painted many times it may be hard to find.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
If I recall, way back then, there used to be a "soft" metal plate that was glued to the frame on the steering stem or just below that had the model and VIN imprinted. Maybe it has been removed.

Malevolent77

Feb 11, 2004
Alright... So it should be placed at the same location as with Yamaha YZ for instance...

The frame is blue, which I don't think it was from the beginning..

The clock is right now 4am and it's -8 degrees (celcius) here.. Damn... Alright... I will need to run out to the garage again! :o)

Another quick question though... My english sucks, but I guess it's a bit better than your swedish... Anyhow.. "Stem"..? What is "stem"?

Thank you guys for helping out..

/Peter

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
The "stem" is the portion of the frame where your upper and lower fork clamps are attached. Just below your handlebars. BTW your english is very good.

Vytas

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 31, 2001
One more thing, the temps here in Chicago are about -14C. So stop complaining :eek: . I have been to Stockholm twice, nice country.

Malevolent77

Feb 11, 2004
Aah.. Great!

Thank you for your prompt reply.
I'll run out to the bike and try to scratch/rub off the paint..

Hopefully I'll be back within a few minutes to tell you that I found the number..

Well.. I can make my self understood, and that's probably all I need..

BRB!!

/Peter

Malevolent77

Feb 11, 2004
FOUNT IT!!! *THANKS!* :eek:

RM250-101068

Now for the hard part.. Where can I find out what year this bike is now when I got the serial?

/Peter

Malevolent77

Feb 11, 2004
No worries mate!

You've been more than helpfull! :)
Thanks!!!

I'll contact a Swedish retailer tomorrow to see if they can help me find out the exact year..

I still belive it's '83 years model, but I don't know for sure...

Again, Thank You!

..and.. See you later!

Farväl :yeehaw: (Bye!)

/Peter

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Malevolent77 said:
...The clock is right now 4am and it's -8 degrees (celcius) here.. Damn... Alright... I will need to run out to the garage again! :o)...
:) Obsessive compulsion. That's one thing we dirt bikers have in common :thumb:
The stearing stem is where the triple clamp pivots from the frame. It's the big metal tube welded in front of the frame.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Usually with that type of number it's prior to 1981, but, being from out of the US, it may not. Calling the dealer will help, but definately check with a local one.

Top Bottom