upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Hello All,

New guy here, I've browsed this forum quite a few times and found lots of helpful tech on it.

First off a lil background on the bike. A friend of mine has a BMW GS 1100 (or 1200?) that is his enduro bike, he's stripped it down, smaller tank :blah: :blah:. Its got conventional forks on it, and we have a set of 1991 Suzuki RM250 Forks, Inverted Showa's (from what we've found). :nod: I think you can see where this is going.

The bearings, etc are all the correct size and such.

The forks we got have a gash in one of the fork lowers and it needs to be replaced. Also one of the Stanchions is broken. Well we got bench racing and I got to thinking, What is the Dimensional Specifications on the 1991 Forks and the Forks on my 1993 RM250. We are looking to build hybrid Forks for his BMW GS to get better offroad handling.

Does anyone have a resource, or the specs, on hand for the internals of both shocks? I havent been able to find them online, and dont really want to disassemble both sets to compare.

Cliffnotes: Whats the Internal Dimensions/Differences between 1991 and 1993 Suzuki RM 250 Forks?

Thank you.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Man, I wish I could awnser your question. For a new guy to post such a clear and consise, easy to read question (with actual words--no text speak) makes me want to cry with joy :nod: :) Kudos to you!!

BTW, The BMW project sounds fun.

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
anyone?

By the way. I pride myselft in being able to speak coherent English for the most part and I cannot stand Text gibberish. :pissed: :coocoo:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Hmmm... sounds interesting.

I'd think that the main things you need to determine is the diameter of the forks where they clamp into the triple clamps. And the internal width at the axle. And even if the width wasn't dead on, I'm sure you could have a custom spacer set made that will fix that problem.

And then as long as your axle bearings are fit the axle you intend to use, you should be good to go.

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Thank you IndyMX,

Those specs all check out A-Okay. Our only problem is the one stanchion we need, and the fork lower (opposite sides) are either out of production, so we have to find decent used ones, or they are so highly priced its ridiculous!

Maybe I should have this moved to the Suspension tech forum?

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Ya, we've both been keeping our eyes out for some. We really only need the tubes and the stanchions, nothing else.

With the weight of the BMW, and his vertical challenge, the forks will get heavier springs put in them, and 1 inch of travel removed, and they will get pushed up 1 inch in the trees. Which will put the front end at the same level as stock, but with much better rideability.

upstateny

Mar 16, 2009
Good to know good to know. That way I know my '93 will be in good shape. The 91's *feel* lighter, thats why we went for them and we got a killer deal (or so we thought) on them. :bang:

And for the money of a new set, we have 2 91 sets, and plenty of parts. :coocoo:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom