WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Why couldn't you get the cylinder bored out to the size of the overbore piston and have it plated with nikasil? Is it just a deal with the forged pistons (I think wiseco makes the 436/470 pistons) or ??? Probly a dumb question but I am just curious.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by WoWman
Why couldn't you get the cylinder bored out to the size of the overbore piston and have it plated with nikasil.

That's the proper way to do it.

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
I'm not sure what you are trying to say
Sorry Rich, attempted humour.
Okie had a post about the phrase "I, personally" and I just tried to make a funny, me bad. I'm sure the 250F is perfect, and it wasn't intentional to imply anything different, sorry again.
With what little I know about overbores, I'd only go the plating option, seem to of read quite a few posts about sleeving problems.
Gotta agree with the more XR than CRF comment too, great "all-rounder" but if your goal is racing there's much better bases to start with.
Having said that, there's a 2hr. club event coming up and it's going to be just perfect for me to race, and I'm really looking forward to it.
Cheers.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by WoWman
Whoah, rich are you saying I could get just the piston from thumper racing and have it plated versus pressing in a sleeve?

YES, as long as the piston you use doesn't exceed the overbore limits of a plated barrel.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Battered Sav

Sorry Rich, attempted humour.

No apology necessary. English has a way of a acting like a foreign tongue at times on the internet. :)

WoWman

Jun 23, 2002
Originally posted by Skid Jackson
Ok keeping in mind i don't know alot of "mechanical theory". Instead of going big bore kits etc.etc. Could you just leave everything stock and do some head work and Get the same result as a big bore kit. Is head work ultra pricey? I would think that if someone was going through their motor a little head work would be in order along with everything else. Just curious

Skid to answer your questioin ( ;) ) I dont think you could get quite the same results with porting/polishing the ports as with a big bore kit, but from the sounds of it you could gain a few ponies (maybe) from it. It's not "ultra" pricey, but not super cheap either. You could probly have it done professionally for around 250 bucks max. I think eric gorr does fourstroke porting now...I'll have to check into it about the drz though. I think hes more MX oriented when it comes to thumper upgrades.

Then again I could be wrong. :)

mole1

Jul 14, 2002
rich
what's the problem with the drz head design ? could it be the lack of soft titanium valves that need replacing so often like on the crf ? but hey , according to honda , valve replacement is considered routine maintenance on the crf head design so i guess thats not a problem. lol

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
mole1 - Do you have anything useful to add to the discussion or are you just going to subject us to your low rent, tragically mis-informed ASCIIbation?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Skid Jackson
Could you just leave everything stock and do some head work and Get the same result as a big bore kit. Is head work ultra pricey?

Sorry Skid, must have missed this one earlier.

IMO NO, dollar for dollar on this engine a larger bore is a better deal. The pros of doing a plated overbore :
- you can tighten up the squish clearance, which this motor needs
- the bigger bore shifts the torque peak down a few hundred rpm helping to prolong crank and valvetrain life
- the increase in bore will increase intake velocity at the same relative rpm and helps mute the small torque trough that currently exists at low rpm. This effect is even more pronounced with OS aftermarket head pipes which tend to punch a bit of hole in the torque curve around 3500-4000 rpm

The horsepower gains that can be derived from head work and cam/valvetrain changes on this motor will tend to favor high rpm at the expense of low rpm torque. The extra rpm required to take advantage of these changes does nothing positive for overall reliability.

Done correctly there is no cheap reliable (HUGE emphasis on reliable) way to make a big change in airflow with this design.

techman

Feb 18, 2000
ASCIIbation! :) :thumb: :yeehaw: classic, from a fertile mind :thumb:

well, enough poor taste humour for now. Can't razz the KLuDRuXuZ (DRuKLuZuX?) guys excessively. Ok, I promise to say something constructive next time. But, still, :yeehaw: !! A truly funny term for modern times.

ecka

Apr 30, 2002
Getting back to the original topic this forum started out as.

For your info, the last round of the Australian 4 Stoke Nats took place the weekend just gone (6 race series held over the last 3 months).

The good old Suzuki 4 stroke claimed 2nd overall in the Open Pro Class.
The Craig Anderson piloted KTM 540 winning.

This obviously means the Suzuki finished ahead of Factory Hondas, Yamaha, Husabergs along with at least 2 other Factory KTMs (one of which is piloted by former world #1 500 MX GP rider Shayne King).

So the question could well be, is Suzuki already out there. testing, developing and almost winning.

You can't tell me a modified DRZ would be able to acheive these results in that sort of competition.

The RM450F may be closer than you think.
Any news at your end.

Top Bottom