crusty1

Oct 3, 2001
I'm currently riding an 00 YZ 250 and have been thinking about going to a KTM. I just bought my son a little 02 LC 50 SR. and for such a little bike the attention to detail is impressive. I ride mostly woods but also have a 1/2 mile moto style track on our side yard. I went to the YZ from a KDX 200. Big difference. I love the low end but even after putting a 11oz flywheel weight on this thing still has such a strong and quick response it's taking a bit getting used to (last off the bike episode resulted in 2 broken ribs, broke shoulder, and collapsed lung). I sure anyone reading this post is thinking "if you can't handle the power buy an XR 250!. My friends say buy a KTM E/MXC 250/300. It will be way smoother than your YZ with the same power. Never ridden a KTM 250/300. Are they that much smoother (a la KDX 200/220) than a YZ 250.?

Dennis

P.S. My bike has SST pipe, turbine II silencer, and power reeds...and new bars and plastic!!! after last wreck!

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I'd say smoother than a yz but nothing like a kdx. ;) I have a 01 250exc which replaced the 99 kdx. As far as your yz goes, jetting, a different pipe and porting can give you what you need as long as you dont want the wide ratio tranny or lights.

fragildan

Apr 6, 2002
when I got my 99 250 exc I hadn't ridden a two stroke for about 7 yrs. It wasn't a shock, but took some getting used to. I wouldn't say a 250 exc has a killer hit but it can suprise you all the same. Like Decoster once said the throttle goes both ways. my o2 250 exc is like my 99- just more. and seems to be more spread out. for woods I love the suspension. plus there's the quality issue, KTM is tops. my 99 is for sale if your interested but from here on out I don't think there's anything but orange in my future so I can't help with the yz.

Oct 8, 2000
I have a 2000 YZ 250, this bike can be made into a very good woods bike. I just bought a 2002 CRF honda, so I'm selling the YZ. I have taken off all the extras, and I have a couple of items that would really make your bike much better in the woods. I have an E line lighting kit , a FMF Gnarly pipe, and V force reed cage. If interested e mail me. I'll make you a good deal. You won't belive the difference.

Top Bottom