wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
I ride a dinosaur (99 yz250), but I do love this bike. My biggest issue is the suspension. I never seem to need much different in the rear, other than dialing it in for conditions. The problem I have is that my front never feels good in any conditions. It bucks and chops like crazy in the tight technical stuff, it climbs out of ruts and never feels settled, and the bottoming resistance is not on par when I hit the track. If there's ever a rut or rock kicked out in front of me, I better do everything I can to avoid it or else my hands and wrists are going to pay for it, and my bike will be unsettled for what seems to be an unreasonable duration thereafter. I've looked into spending the money to have the suspension professionally set up, but I'm also seeing that not a whole lot of parts are still available for it.

So here's the question, should I look into swapping out the suspension for a more current model of yz250, or would working with what I have be better? What type of investment are we talking about here, and what would you consider to be the best cost to effect if I did it in steps? Any ideas or directions about that would be great.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Too much high speed compression damping is a common problem on older MX forks when used in the woods.

My guess is a reputable shop can revalve your current forks to work extremely well, for less downtime, hassle and cost than swapping front ends.

While they are in there, they will probably do a full service: new bushings, oil, etc.. and that can add quite a bit to the cost.

I've had good success with Factory Connection on a '99 CR, but there may be a local shop near you.

Where do you live? Is there a popular local company the nearby Cross Country and enduro riders use for suspension?

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
dirt bike dave said:
Too much high speed compression damping is a common problem on older MX forks when used in the woods.

My guess is a reputable shop can revalve your current forks to work extremely well, for less downtime, hassle and cost than swapping front ends.

While they are in there, they will probably do a full service: new bushings, oil, etc.. and that can add quite a bit to the cost.

I've had good success with Factory Connection on a '99 CR, but there may be a local shop near you.

Where do you live? Is there a popular local company the nearby Cross Country and enduro riders use for suspension?

I'm in Norman, Oklahoma (OKC area), but I don't know of a local suspension builder that's reputable. That doesn't mean that there isn't one, I just haven't heard. Most people around here have their suspensions tagged with Pivot Works and Works Connections stickers, but I couldn't tell you if it's real or just a sticker... You know how that goes. I've seen a few "Reynard" stickers on peoples forks too, and he's right around Norman, but I figured he was probably more of a solely mx guy since that's what his boy Robby has always ridden. Btw, if you have the opportunity to ever get out and ride the new Reynard Raceway (formerly Sooner State Cycle Park) out here in Wellston, Oklahoma, I'd highly recommend it. That track's a good time with oh so good dirt...

I just rebuilt the forks with new bushings, seals, and dust covers a little less than a month ago so I don't think that should be an issue. You're probably right, though, I'm leaning towards the revalve with a reputable company. I need a faster paced set up I would think because I ride probably 60% double track/grass track/hare scramble-esque, 30% mx, and 10% tight single track on all this bike, but I'm just tired of feeling so beat up in chop, ruts, and roots. I'm ready for this bike to finally feel planted!

Top Bottom