placelast

Apr 11, 2001
By a long shot I ended up being able to make it. Here are the details:

Friday night packing isn’t the most favorable, nonetheless doable with an early Saturday departure for a 250-mile drive to El Mirage. The bike for Shorty would be loaded last, in the morning.

We had a falling out due to his poor report card, and in the process of discussing the mater it escalated to the point were I left without him and his ride, for him to stay home and makeup past homework. Poor grades + bad attitude = no ride.

I awoke at 5am and hustled breakfast as usual, then hit the road at 6. It was raining at home, and continued on and off throughout the trip. Near the 100-mile mark in the town of Maricopa there was a sign indicating HWY 166 was closed and open to locals only due to flooding. The subsequent 35-mile diversion around Taft was not burdensome, and the sky briefly opened up at the Grapevine and closed at the summit, where it began to rain with a vengeance. It was time to stock up on (relatively) inexpensive petrol for the pickup. At $1.99/gal. My breath was steamy due to the chill, and there was more rain then ever. A short jaunt along the Big Eye (Interstate 5) and it was then eastward into the Antelope Valley on to Hwy 138.

There was a sign indicating the road was closed, although the three mentioned were canyons in the mountains so I soldiered on. As I was setting my water bottle back into the holder the pickup quickly slowed down and sent a huge amount of water into the sky on the left and right; it took a few miles to get my heart back to where it belonged due to the sudden deceleration.

Now with both hands firmly on the wheel, and a keen eye to the puddles along the shoulder I come to 170th Street West and find a detour sign with Calif. Hwy Patrol cars on watch. It takes me around the Calif. Poppy Preserve for another total of 15 lost miles and therefore one hour behind schedule at the beekeeper. He has my bucket of honey ready, but seeing he hasn’t many folks to talk to he wants to talk on and on about anything bees – I politely say I need to be leaving after 20 minutes of hearing the poor fellow out.

Stopping in Lancaster finds me as the only customer at the motorcycle dealer, to pick up a part for Eric Gore when he rebuilds my 250. Some fuel for the loaner bike and misc. food items at Trader Joe’s and I’m back onto 138 east.

Littlerock and Bigrock creek are flowing more than I have ever seen (lived nearby for 5 years.) But things don’t turnout for the worse until getting onto Hwy 18. It’s one of those typical mountain-base highways with washes from rainfall over the years. The govt. highway engineers let it follow the ups and downs of the terrain, just like large whoop-de-dos. When dry, they are quite fun at speed, but not today with all the rain, puddles and newfound perpendicular hwy-crossing streams where caution was the key. Mind you it’s still raining, and the radio news stations are covering the flooding in the Los Angeles basin, with parts of the Inland area only. This area did not rate!

Local law authorities were out in full force.

Crossing the puddles every 50-100 feet presented no small challenge for most, as the location of the center-dividing stripe was not to be seen as it disappeared and reappeared on yonder sides. Some opposing traffic would cross at speed; others would crawl along, not wishing to be washed off of the pavement. The highest water level witnessed was up to the bottom of a lead car’s bumper. It’s good I did not bring my wife’s car, giving me some clearance to work with. Many intersections were flowing with water and gravel. With the last I turned north towards Adelanto.

As I was approaching the campsite, with every milestone I let out a hoot “20 more miles!” “10 more miles!” “5 more: yeah!” as riding please was ahead.

Pulling onto the desert road leading to camp lead me to believe this may be a go after all, with the sky breaking up – they could have cancelled the event, but decided to wait to make a the call – good thing as conditions were outstanding. Pulling into camp and saying hellos to club members I haven’t seen in years brought us to the inevitable discussion about the rain: they said it had been coming down since midnight the night before, and it was now 1pm the next day!

Circling the campsite twice to locate some familiar DRNers produced no fruit, so I sidelined into the wimmin and kid’s enduro riders meeting, and watched all of the starts and finishes. Some of them ladies are spoiled with the rides their hubbies provide! E.g.: a fresh CRF250X, a custom KDX220, a few YZFs…

2 hours later Thumbs and G/F pull in with quite a giddy up – a fifth wheel toy box. After a careful yet speedy setup, we unload his 200 M/XC which he let me ride (thanks! Sorry about your wrist) and the Big Wheel for his checkpoint accessing. My attention is turned to tent setup as darkness is approaching and a place to change into riding gear – he urged me to take it for a spin, and I got suited up in record time. As I was about to embark onto the kid’s enduro loop, The Eel and G/F arrived.

The soil conditions couldn’t have been better. The riding away from camp was outrageous. Yes, there were puddles, but with this light and flick able 200 I could float right over most. The only thing uncomfortable was the sun setting in my eyes directly on the horizon of the trail. As the trail peaked I realized it was a few miles back to camp, moreover did they already ribbon for tomorrow’s race, meaning I’m going out on a longer loop than thought with the sun setting? Deciding to turn around was a good decision as camp was dark upon me getting back.

Thumbs, the Eel and G/Fs had by then made themselves comfortable in the trailer, and I had entered with full gear except melon cap. I’m thinking it be good to break out the appetizers and beverages. Let’s see: some local merlot? Yes. A variety of chips? Check. Presta pasta something? Uh huh. Salsa, refried bean dip, cerveza, and oh – I’m too full for the chicken and rice main course – no thank you, and off to bed after entertaining conversation.

At 2am I wake to raindrops sounding upon the tent's fly; they die away to return again at 4. Then sunrise came, and it was time to get dressed, breakfast and sign up. Scar Tissue, 2strok4fun and Old & Slow all came in for the day, parking near us. Scar, The Eel and I signed up for one minute together, Row 17, with the other two on 16. Plyswfire (Deano) and his son were on 15; this was to be his son’s first adult ride, although he still on an 80 – he’d doing so well the kid’s events are not challenging him, so dad is having him take a leap.

The computer on Thumb’s 200 was broke from his last event, so I was left to shadow Eel and Scar – fine by me. We left the line to discover the third loop’s pace on the first! Fast. And the second like a fourth!! Then the Third like a fifth loop – hare and hound/desert scrambles/go for the bomb run.

For those of you whom have not been to El Mirage, it is a BLM-(mis)managed area, supported with green sticker funds. The terrain is high (Mojave) desert, as in open, but rocky and somewhat hilly. The soil did a fine job of soaking up the rain, and there was absolutely no dust – all stickum, especially in the sand washes where top gear runs were the norm. The whoops were not bad at all. Rocks were abundant but not overly present, although there were some sharp edges were pinch flats could be readily had.

Eel had some problem with his computer during the second loop. On the third loop Scar just flat out rode me, so I couldn’t shadow well. Dude: you've picked up some speed.

At the 3 1/3 loops point they had us novices and super seniors stop; once the amateurs, experts and masters passed we pulled ribbon and stakes for the club from thence. The latter group pulled the last 1/3.

Results were to be posted later in the afternoon, but I needed to get back home before dark, so while we were telling war stories and lies of dragons slain, I packed and headed out.

It was sure good to see ya all again – sure miss the rides and bar banging.

Thumbs: thanks for use of the horse – tremendous generosity on your part. That’s one fine steed I could easily adapt to and thoroughly enjoyed.

Last edited:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Thumbs: thanks for use of the horse – tremendous generosity on your part. That’s one fine steed I could easily adapt to and thoroughly enjoyed.

No problem problem John. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride.

Top Bottom