Swing arm bushings instead of bearings

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
I did a search -didn't see an answer.

Just went through my rear suspension, the bearings seemed OK, not great but when I priced out the replacements I decided they were good enough. It left me wondering - are bearings really necessary? Wouldn't oil impregnated bronze bushings be almost as good? The bushings may be a little inferior performance wise - I guess - I don't really think significantly so -but they would stand up to the water and dirt a lot better, wouldn't they? What do you think?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
When I had my rear shock rebuilt I replaced everything ;) From my shock bushings to the neddle berings. A good rule of thumb is if you think you need to checkthem it might not be a bad idea to replace them. I used Pivot Works(link) they produce all the berings and seals that you need for your suspention at an unbeatable price :D Is this the first time you have had a look at them? If they don't look that bad clean and grease them well. I use Bel-Ray waterproof. At $4.50 a tub it can't be beat! This winter I plan on installing grease zerks everywhere there is room so I can makesure there is plenty of grease in there inbetween annual tear downs.

Good Luck,
Phillip

loyd

Dec 24, 2001
hey dude if your keen to make or fit your own (as i did it at work for nothing) phosphour bronze bushing (or oil inpregnatedbushes) still work well, allow at least 2 thou clearance and install grease grooves so you don't have to keep stripping and cleaning. I installed grease nipples in a few diff places nothing has knocked them off in the past 2 yrs except for the l/h side beside the chain which i plug off & install nipple to grease

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…