Billinin

Feb 21, 2007
I did a searh and didnt find this so I will ask......is there supposed to be ANY play what so ever in the swing arm? Today I had my bikes rear wheel off the ground to lube my chain and noticed very very little play in the swing arm, the bolts by the shock. It barley moves but its NOT 100% tight. Is this normal? Is there supposed to be a little play to keep things from breaking? I have a 2005 RM85. I dont race, just play and ride in the pits, so if this is a problem could I get away with not fixing it? Thanks

mmz77

Oct 15, 2006
There is always going to be some play in the swingarm, I just replaced my bearing recently and before hand you could move it with almost an inch of slack in either direction, so you should be fine...

Billinin

Feb 21, 2007
wow...I'm not even close to a half inch....What I mean is when the wheel was off the ground I could take my hand and see very little play at the swing arm bolts by the shock when I put my hand on the rear wheel and tryed wiggling it back and forth from left to right....kind of the same way you can check wheel bearings on a car......so that tiny bit of play is normal? I know its not the wheel bearing because that is tight back there...its up front (by the shock) I'm wondering about.........please forgive my ignorance but I'm new to the dirt bike scene. Thanks fellas

Billinin

Feb 21, 2007
Oh...and my movement is NOT up and down....mine is left to right...barley there, but like I said its not 100% tight......thanks

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
76GMC1500 said:
About 1/2 to 1 inch of up and down movement is normal.
:think: There shouldn't be any up and down or side to side movement. Any slop is an indication that the bearings are worn and/or rusted.

When was the last time you cleaned and lubed the bearings in the swingarm and linkage?

Billinin

Feb 21, 2007
not sure....I'm the 2nd owner of the bike which was raced one season then everything was rebuilt(top end, bottom end, clutch). The bike is a really fast little booger. The performance shop I got it from is very reputable. I asked him if it needed anything, and he told me no. I'm a guy who takes care of his stuff, so I just want to fix what needs fixed, then I will confront him about it. Also, is this a cheap, fast, easy fix? Is it safe to ride or does it need fixing ASAP? Thanks for all your help

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
RM Guy is correct, there should be no side to side or up and down movement in your swing arm. If it's side to side then you need new swing arm bearings. If the movement is up and down it could be your shock bearings or swingarm linkage bearings. A visual inspection will let you know which.

Good luck, Steve.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Even with new shock linkage bearings, there may still be some movement up and down at the wheel. There should be no side to side. It may matter whether or not you use Chinese bearings. I can only get Chinese bearings for my bike :|

Depending on the tools you have, swingarm linkage bearings are relatively easy to change. It takes about an hour to remove the swingarm, remove the bearings, install new ones, and reinstall the swingarm. If you have a vise, place a socket who's outside diameter fits inside of the bore for the bearing. On the other side of the swingarm, place a socket who's inside diameter is larger than the outside of the bearing. Squeeze everything together in a vise and add a little heat from a MAPP or propane torch if necessary and the bearings just slide right out. Reinstall the new ones, then coat everything liberally with moly paste or your favorite waterproof grease.

The total cost for parts will be about $70.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
It should take about an hour to do, about $80-90 an hour for labor plus $70 in parts. If you pull your swingarm and give it to them, you may save yourself some money.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I'm with RM_guy on this one, there should be NO PLAY! None of my bikes have play. The KX125 did, but that's because it needed a new upper shock bearing. There wasn't much, maybe 1/4" at the wheel, and a new bearing tightened it right back up. My KDX and YZ have zero play, up and down, or side to side. I grease my stuff once or twice a year, depending on what kind of abuse it is forced to endure.

It is also possible that the shoulder of the bolts are begining to wear, so even new bearings won't take out all the slop without also getting new bolts. Not super common, but possible and I have seen it happen. Sometimes if this is the case you can tighten the nut/bolt so that the worn side of the bolt is 1/4 turn off from where it came out. Marking the head with a marker helps to keep track of where things are pointing.

Top Bottom