swingarm bearing maintenance

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I am in the middle of the first swingarm bearing check. Is it best to just wipe out some of the grease and put more in, or should i take the seals out, remove all of the little rollers (of course leave the cage pressed in) and clean everything good and then put all of the rollers back in and grease? All of the bearings looked good except for the one where the bottom of the shock attaches. The rollers were full of rust. Also, the bolt that attaches the rocker arm to the frame was a bitch to get out. I am going to replace that bolt since it was all corroded.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Without seeing your particular bearings, I'd say take everything apart and clean/regrease....or, replace as the case may be.
This is assuming you have the skills and tools to do it. If you do not, then just pack as much new grease in there as you can and pray.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
Unless there is something wrong with my needle bearings, the needles can all come out without pressing anything out at all. Just take them out, clean them, and then lay them back in packed with grease (kind of like a bicycle wheel ball bearing that doesn't have a cage).

I had to hammer out the bad bearing at the bottom shock pivot, but I have an arbor press that should be sufficient for pressing in the new bearing.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
It is better to take all the needles out. This gives one the chance to clean and inspect them, not just blindly hope they are still good as you layer good grease on top of bad.

After the needles are out, usse a shop towel and some brake cleaner. Spray some on the rag, then wipe out the bearing cage area. Spraying wildly may cause overspray to hurt the paint.

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
i saw somebody say swingarm bearing maintenance is a 30-60 minute job. It took me 1 hour to get everything off and then 15-20 minutes per bearing to get the needles out, clean them, clean the cage, and get them back in. I think there are 7 bearings total if you count the shock rocker bearings. Plus cleaning the 4 cage roller bearings on the swingarm. So counting putting everything back on this would be a 4-5 hour job.... Aren't you supposed to do this at least 2-3 times/year? I always new dirt bikes were a lot of maintenance, but I didn't think I would spend more time working on it than riding it :)

KDX AL

Jul 22, 2008
Swing Arm Bearings.

NO YOU DONT NEED TO DO THE SWING ARM BEARINGS 2 TO 3 TIMES A YEAR ONCE EVERY COUPLE OF YEARS IS FINE JUST MAKE SURE THE SEALS ARE OK AND YOU PUT SOME MARINE WATER PROOF GREASE ON THEM AND SHOULD BE FINE. :ride: :cool:

Dixie4

Jul 13, 2007
When I did mine the first time, The wife thought I Moved out to the shed, I thought I was staying out of trouble, The Next time, I install grease fittings, Loosen up inspeck seals, grease her up torq to specs about 30 mins, She's happy, and may let me go ride, Her- - - , Not ?

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
I am having to replace two of the bearings in the suspension rocker. My question is can I just push against one bearing and have it push against the other bearing and have them both go out the same side, or is there a raised edge or stop in the middle of the bore that the bearings are pressed in to that makes this impossible?

Dixie4

Jul 13, 2007
If you use a heating torch a little heat not to fry the grease the bearings will almost fall out, there is no lip, when you reinstall the bearings back put one on side a little heat or not to press in you will have a 1 to 1.5 mm gap in the middle, or just press in enough so the seals fit flush, Hope this has help.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
They'll go straight out with no raised edge in the center.

If the bearings are stuck, you could melt the aluminum before they moved. Neglect does that.

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
I freeze my new bearings before installing. I've always been able to get all mine pressed in with a large c-clamp . Use a socket slightly smaller diameter than the bearing to offset from flush.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
lemmy said:
Unless there is something wrong with my needle bearings, the needles can all come out without pressing anything out at all. Just take them out, clean them, and then lay them back in packed with grease (kind of like a bicycle wheel ball bearing that doesn't have a cage).
I think there IS something wrong with your needle bearings, lemmy.
I took my swingarm off yesterday to change the rear spring and to grease the bearings, and the needles are not loose in the cage...they will not come out without removing the entire needle bearing, cage and all.

You might want to order new ones today so you can replace them this weekend. :nod: I'd also order new inner bushings (the piece that the needles ride on). And seals....!
Lube the new pieces up real well (I use Mercury Quicksilver Marine Grease with Teflon...high-quality, waterproof, etc.) and don't forget to clean and grease the swingarm bolt.

By the way, I have a quantity of very cool black plastic caps that snap into the frame recesses where the swingarm bolt goes through. They look better and keep the dirt and water out of those places much better than the stock rubber nut covers.
PM me if you want a pair.

Mud

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
Yeah, the bearings on the swingarm pivot are not loose. But the ones on the shock rocker arm pivots are loose (at least I think they are supposed to be).

ronnie l

Feb 16, 2003
Where did you get the black caps?

mudpack said:
I think there IS something wrong with your needle bearings, lemmy.
I took my swingarm off yesterday to change the rear spring and to grease the bearings, and the needles are not loose in the cage...they will not come out without removing the entire needle bearing, cage and all.

You might want to order new ones today so you can replace them this weekend. :nod: I'd also order new inner bushings (the piece that the needles ride on). And seals....!
Lube the new pieces up real well (I use Mercury Quicksilver Marine Grease with Teflon...high-quality, waterproof, etc.) and don't forget to clean and grease the swingarm bolt.

By the way, I have a quantity of very cool black plastic caps that snap into the frame recesses where the swingarm bolt goes through. They look better and keep the dirt and water out of those places much better than the stock rubber nut covers.

Mud

lemmy

Jul 24, 2008
Everyone mentions using marine grease. I guess because it is more waterproof. But I have never found a marine grease that has moly (the kawi manual says to use moly grease). I used Valvoline Synthetic Synpower with Moly.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
I'll be happy to give my bros a set. (what else am I going to do with 98 caps??) You'll have to pay shipping, of course.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
100_4412.jpg

Here's what they look like on the bike.

Mud

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Lemmy where is you??? been almost a month... did agent orange get you?

this makes me nervous about my swing arm bearing ..having a 98 and all the bike looks well worn ..I don't think I'll pull anything apart untill I have all new everything

Top Bottom