dcwilson

Mar 22, 2002
I was told to tear the rear end off my new bike and regrease all the bearings because the factory does not put enough grease in them. Is this true?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yep! It is a real good idea to repack all the bearings in the linkage, swingarm, steer stem, brake lever and anyplace else that has moving parts.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Yup, just did my '04 YZ250.

Used Valvoline Palladium 3% moly grease.

Pretty easy job, just have a torque wrench for re-assembly.......

Mine were quite dry, particularly the linkage and the shock. Swingarm was somewhat greased......

Very plush now.

scottbob99

Feb 10, 2003
How long does it take to lube the bearings?? Do you need special tools?? My 2000 YZ250 is starting to tighten up a little if it sits more than a week, thanks.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If you do it before you ride it at all it's not to bad, 2 to 4 hours depending on how much time you take. Just slide out the inner race, wipe the old grease away and apply the new stuff. If it has been ridden you may need to do some cleaning with a solvent before you put the new grease in. And as Buckholz says, make sure you use a torque wrench when you put it all back together.

Buckholz

Mar 15, 2000
Yup, coupla hours-max. I had already yanked the rear wheel to lace up an 18" rim, and my chain was removed, replacing with an O-ring.

So, just need all the necessary sockets to access the bolts. The swingarm will come out without removing rear brake pedal if you hold the brake pedal down with one hand while removing the swingarm bolt -- you have to rotate the bolt slightly as you remove it to avoid the rear brake arm -- have a helper ready for this although I was able to manage by myself.

I got the 3% moly grease from NAPA - they stocked the Valvoline Palladium. Yamaha specifies moly grease.....

Top Bottom