GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
Hey all,

Before my ride last week I was going to adjust my chain and discovered that the bolt on the right side of the rear axle that adjusts the chain tightness is stripped. Darndest thing, I can turn it about 3 or 4 rounds each way but it won't go all the way in or out. I sprayed plenty of WD40 while I was attempting to get it out but no avail. Once I got it out at it furtherest point, I did notice what appeared to be aluminum in the threads.

Question is, has anyone else experienced this and what did you do to fix it? I have been thinking about taking the swing arm off and taking it to a machine shop and letting them cut the bolt, drill it out and then re-tap it and I probably need to lube the swingarm bearings anyway.

Any suggestions? Thx for the help.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
GhostRider.

This is a common problem. Especially if you use hot water or a hot pressure washer to wash your bike. It causes condensation inside the swingarm and oxidizes the threads.

A little heat from a torch will sometimes loosen the adjuster bolt but, most of the time the bolt will break before it comes out. If it does, then have your machine shop drill it the rest of the way out and install a heli-coil. That way you can use the stock adjuster bolt. If it comes out and takes the threads with it, a heli-coil will still work.

Just my $ .02

Top Bottom