storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
:yeehaw: Well I'm making the switch to KTM , picking up a new
"04" 450sx tonight, outher than the need for a front fender bracket is there any outher quirks I should know about ?
Anyone who has one of these how's about some feed back? :thumb:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Originally posted by storytime

Anyone who has one of these how's about some feed back?  

:) :) :) :aj:  

You will not be disapointed,.....they get better every year.!

knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
Ditto! Gas up and go. You will have a hard time wiping the smile off your face for a long, long time. Had the RFS's for the last 4 years, without any major issues. Fork seals, valve adjustments and chain & sprockets are the most of whatI've had to indulge in for riding about 1500 miles a year.

Last edited:

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
This is for the other brand owners: "Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated" The Borg

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
had my pipe split my radiator hose once but i was smart enough to get the
moose full skid plate to fix that prob also no matter the bike do not over
tighten the bolts witch the ones you where talking about are the same on
jap bikes only zinc verses crome cracked case happens when you hit it on
something like a rock again a skid plate and you would not have that prob

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
ive caught my shrouds on trees and crashed wich bent them backwards
all it did was leave light streaks in the plastic no screws pulled out again
you must have over tightend them all i do is snug mine up finger tight +
1/8 turn also i have had bolts seized in the insert on jap bikes (that ive fixed
for other people ) and had to pull the whole insert out to get the shrouds off

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Congrats, they are fine, fine machines. The BMW of dirt bikes as I like to say. Looking forward to a ride report after you've had it for a bit.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
You will not be disappointed, made the switch from Japanese brands four years ago, have absolutely not been disappointed!

jsned

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2000
On the ones that go into the plastic I dont use a ratchet, I use the screwdriver handle with the 1/4" drive and a 6mm socket so I dont overtighten them. Take my shrouds off everytime I clean the bike and never stripped or lost a single one.

Briggsracing

Mod Ban
Nov 4, 2003
hmmm..nice forum try to tell th truth about a crappy product and they take it out. I even know of people that work for KTM localy and strait up tell me they wont ride a KTM because of reliabilty aspects...and they work for KTM!!!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Briggsracing
hmmm..nice forum try to tell th truth about a crappy product and they take it out. I even know of people that work for KTM localy and strait up tell me they wont ride a KTM because of reliabilty aspects...and they work for KTM!!!

I deleted your posts, but it had nothing to do with you bashing KTMs. The reason your posts were deleted was the direct result of you turning this into a high school kid AOL chatroom pissing match. If you don't like KTMs and think they are unreliable FINE, you are entitled to your opionion. If you can't make a useful ON TOPIC point without acting like a jackass I'll keep deleting your posts. Better yet maybe I'll just delete your account and save us all some grief.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Briggsracing

If you don't like the bike then why don't you just sell it and get something different? :confused:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
nice forum try to tell th truth about a crappy product and they take it out
I don't think your helping your case :ugg: Especially calling a KTM a crappy product and backing it up with a he said she said argument!

BTW, congrats Storytime :thumb:

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Thans for all your intrest and well wishes! Briggs again sorry to hear of your bad experience with KTM.
Would still like to get some feedback of things to watch for other than the screws that go into the plastic.
How often are you changing the oil? Are the stainless filters from scotts worth the money? What about the little clips that hold the brake pad slider pins in, do they require safety wire?
One thing I did notice was the radiators have a fitting hanging off the bottom and looked like it may be hit from roost from my own front wheel let alone the crap my friends will be shoveling at me. I made a small deflector from plastic and pop riveted them to the bottom of the louvers so they are out of harms way. Keep it comming boys . Still have'nt ridden the bike because of all the OT I have been working to help pay for it once KTM stops letting me use there money.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
In my '02 RFS I ran full synthetic oil and changed it about every 8 hours of run time. I never had any problems. I used the Scott's filters, they work great, save you from constantly stocking new ones to replace the old ones.

knobbiethrower

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2000
It certainly would not be a bad idea to safety wire the little pin clips,in the four years of riding the RFS's I've only lost one though. As far as filters go, the best thing you can do is change oil after every 100 miles or after a long days ride. Invest in some rad guards (possibly flatland racing) Keep up on valve adjustments (they tend to run tight during break in) If you start having issues with starting, it could be the valves are tight) Watch out for shift lever loosining up, take it off and blue loctite the spline area. Do not run the chain tight, suspension will not not work well and you run the risk of breaking rear hub. If you are a rear brake dragger, purchase a rear brake master cylinder from an 03 EXC .The resoviorless one tends to boil fluid. i've found by rotating the throttle body downwards, it allows for cleaner routing of throttle cable. Purchase a zipty racing carb fuel screw, makes for easier adjustment. Enjoy !! :aj:

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by ktm033
Briggs, cool! Nice bike. Did you change the bars, chain and sprockets yet?

Knock it off.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
sorry couldn't resist...honestly briggs if I didn't buy orange that would be the bike I would buy, good luck, I am sure it will be a great bike for you!

"rippinrol"

aka tippinroll
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 11, 2002
Nice switch storytime, there bad machines. One other area of importance is when making adjustments for the rear suspension DON'T overtighten the screw that clamps the nut on the spring or it'll crack, read the manual I think it's 4-7 ft lbs. Happy roostin. :cool:

Top Bottom