kathy127

Nov 10, 2001
Has anyone tried the Sx125 and the exc 125 (or the 2 versions of the 250)? What is the difference in how the bike runs? What does the one do differently from the other?
Thanks

yota

Oct 9, 2001
kathy,there are a number of diffferences. The exc has a wide ratio gearbox, lower 1st gear and higher 5th and 6th. The exc also has a more torqy feel because it has a lighting coil to weight the flywheel. These are both good things if you do off road, not mx. Another good off road thing about the exc is the larger fuel tank, and the suspension is valved softer. The sx suspension, esp the last ones with the 48mm forks is VERY stiff. I only do off road but I live in florida, with few hills and I converted an 02 125sx to a 200 sx as I prefer the close ratio gearing in this terrain (I also had MX Tech revalve the suspension for off road). If I lived anywhere else I would have an exc. For mx, you would not want the exc.

kathy127

Nov 10, 2001
thanks yota,
I see you rode a 250f and switched to the sx. How did the sx perform as to the 250f. I do ride mostly mx, so I guess the sx is the way to go. I was just looking for more low end torque, so that sounds like the exc. Course, I don't want the lighting or extra fuel. I have read that the first gear is lower, but I do not quite know what those english words mean on the track. What does a lower first gear do differently from a higher first gear?
Thanks for you help.

Mini Me

Jan 17, 2002
If you are buying new, you will have to order a 125, as i believe that they have not been imported to America since 2001. For 2003 both models have the 48mm forks, so only the valving will be different, whereas last year, the SX had different forks. Also, for 03, both models will have the same seat and tank configuration. The EXC might hold more fuel (not sure), but it should be as slim. The EXC has a lower first gear for all the technical terrain on the trails and higher 5th and 6th for road sections. Both are not good for MX. If you want more torque, you could try a flywheel weight for the SX. The SX would also be a cheaper option.

Another thing that just came to mind is that for 03 the SX will only have five gears to the EXC's 6 - this may or may not be a problem for your riding terrain??

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Kathy,
If you are worried about low end, what about just using a flywheel weight on the SX? I don't know how the '03 125 SX will run, but my '02 had a ton of bottom end. More than I ever expected. Unfortunately I like a strong top end and this is giving me fits. As mini-me stated, in '03 the SX and EXC/MXC lines will share a similar layout. The rad shrouds and seat are the same but the tanks are different. They are very close in shape but the Off-road tank holds about .9 gallons more fuel. I've been running this same tank since '01 on my 125 SXs and you don't even notice the difference because the extra capacity is very low on the tank. I'm not sure how well the 5 speed will work off road as I know several riders that are struggling with it on the CR & YZ. For MX it shouldn't be a problem.

motomickey

May 9, 2002
Why don't you opt for one of the 200s. In your orginal post you mentioned comparingthe 250s also. Go for a 200 sx and you will be very happy.

yota

Oct 9, 2001
kathy, sorry, I've been away from the computer. Actually the list of bikes including the 250f are bikes I own, not ones I've had in the past. I still love to ride the 250f and it has mods like vortex ignition and dsp pipe which made it a real cheater bike. It would rip my 125sx and isn't much if any off from the 200sx. I do prefer the 200sx over it though and ride the ktm 2 out of 3 times.

kathy127

Nov 10, 2001
Thanx for all your help and advice, I think sx200 is the one. the 200 should give me extra torque down low when I need it and still give me the motocross bike feel I like. I will have to find one!! as I understand they are not planning to make many.
Will let you know how it works.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom