jat123

Jun 19, 2000
Getting ready to move my son up to a 125. He is currently riding a YZ80 and is burning up clutchs quite often.

Two questions on the SX 125:

1. How is the low end power?
2. How durable are the clutches?

I have read every 125 shootout/test and none seem to give a consistant answer, with the exception of saying the SX has the most powerful engine.

Almost forgot. He will be riding Novice & Schoolboy motocross.

Thanks
Jim

------------------

[This message has been edited by jat123 (edited 04-16-2001).]

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
The clutch should be very durable, KTM uses a hydraulic clutch on all of there bigger(not mini) bikes and they can take the abuse.

------------------

cp380sx

Jan 12, 2001
Low end? What low end? If he's fast he won't miss it. Otherwise it may not be the perfect 125 for him.

Cameron

------------------

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The KTM has the most durable clutch around and has enough bottom end to get the job done(ie more than my CR)

------------------

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Dude the ktm 125sx is the sweetest 2 stroke 125 out there! Its got decent low end power as 125's go, but 125's as a group have almost none, check the dyno charts. The suspension is nice, the frame is rigid and made of chro-moly, with an aluminum subframe. I dont think either of those metals rust. Ktms motors have twin-air filters and boyesen power reeds. It is the most powerful of the 125's. The magura aluminum pro taper style bars come stock along with Acerbis frame guards, cauliflower shape brake rotors which are cooler looking and cooler running. If your getting a 2 stroke 125 get the KTM.
However if youve got the money for a 2001 KTM you might want to consider the YZ250f This bike just rips! The one thing thats necessary is a aftermarket exhaust system(Check April 2001 Dirt Riders test) The stock exhaust system leaves it 4 horsepower short of the Yosh or FMF systems. Other then that the YZ will come out of turns with more low end and midrange and will allow you to pass someone on a 125 who misjudges the shift and comes out with 7000rpm. If you come up with the same 7000rpm you will fly past them and leave them to downshift and spend more time behind you. So if you got the money get a Yz250f if not an older KTM is the best choice.

------------------

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by FMX_novice:
you might want to consider the YZ250f This bike just rips! The one thing thats necessary is a aftermarket exhaust system

The 250F makes PLENTY of horsepower with the stock pipe to be competitive against 125s in all but the Pro classes. Don't believe everything you read, especially in Dirt Rider
smile.gif

------------------
Rich Rohrich
==

"Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the life-long attempt to acquire it."
- Albert Einstein

Smail's98KTM

Apr 10, 2001
I own a 98 125 that is a factory bike and the first thing they did was put a smaller carb on it and the bottom is awesome and my suspension is aftermarket but stock ktm suspension is fine. buy an older 125 like mine they are better on the bottom the new ones are all top end...

------------------
Katooms rule

Smail's98KTM

Apr 10, 2001
oh and the ktm's have the same clutch as the honda cr 125 only the ktm is hydrualic but the plates are the samr i put cr clutches in my bike all the time...they are cheaper on the wallet too but same durability...

------------------
Katooms rule

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
The 125 KTM's run 4 alluminum clutch plates which will wear much faster than a clutch with all steel plates. Keep your oil changed and replace the clutch at the first sign of slipping. I have heard of some alluminum clutch plates breaking apart if left worn to long.

------------------

Top Bottom