Tag T2??

Arthurcr125

Mod Ban
Mar 19, 2002
i just spent $173.35 on a pair of gold tag t2 handlebars and the bar clamps...... Was it worth it?? ive heard their really good and so i got some.... What do all ofyall say abou them?

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Are tag's made in the same place as the other bars? A guy at my local shop (total idiot) once said that the Renthal Fat Bar and the Protaper were made together...any truth in this?

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I bought a set also and think they are o.k my only complaint is that I thought the vibration would be less with the 7/8 bars.

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I left the rubber mounts that came from the factory in when I changed. Now I'm not complaining about the bars I like the bend It's just that when I researched bars Tag made the following claim:

"This innovative double butted inner wall design redefines industry standards for strength and vibration damping. Tapered outer wall for use with regular size grips and hand controls. Manufactured from aircraft quality 7049-T5 aluminum. Polished and hard anodized to a high gloss finish. Knurled grip & clamp area to resist slippage. Available in silver, gold, gunmetal, copper. Bar pad included. Used and endorsed by Applied Racing test riders."

Now maybe for some bikes it does dampen the vibration more then on others but compared to the stock steel bars on the CR-500 I can feel more vibration with the Tags.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Wow, that's odd jski. On my KX500 I went from stock to a 7/8" Renthal unit, which reduced vibration noticeably. I then went to a Tag T2 bar and noticed even further improvement. I pumped the bars full of silicon just because I heard it works well, and, I heard right.. The vibration was all but gone (compared to before).

TechKid

Apr 30, 2002
The way i see it is, THEY ARE JUST HANDLEBARS!173 bucks for some bars and clamps is ridiculous unless you are a top pro racer.Those bars probably feel just as nice as some $21.95 set of steel moose handlebars.In motorcycles, a lot of this expensive ultra-trick stuff is just to brag to your friends that you have 200 dollar handlebars.

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
Yeah TechKid, but those 21.95 bars are good for one wipe-out and then it's another 21.95 and an hour or two of your time and some grip glue. I agree that alot of the cool stuff for dirtbikes is a waste of money, but good bars and chains are worth the money.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
All bars will bend, nothing is perfect and I have yet to find and "wonder products" in this area. But Techkid, what's wrong with getting all the "slick" parts out there? I think half the fun is wrenching and hooking my bike up. But back to the subject, my T2's are still holding up great.

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I've got an old set of TAG bars on my YZ, several hard crashes and they're not bent yet. Oh, and BTW TechKid, these guys are right, you get what you pay for. I saw a set of cheap bars bend when the bike just fell over sitting at the trailer! They have a purpose, though, I'd install them on a bike I was selling! :p

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
which are the stronger bars, i am kinda confused when i look at them on MXSOUTH's site, the T2's or the X5's, i am going to get a set, considering i bent the stock bars on my KTM already, and are the bar mounts necessary to get to them to mount up to stock triples? thanks

El Pres

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
El Pres, the X5 bars won't fit on your KTM, you'll need the T2 bars. This is a blessing in disguise as the T2 bars, or any oversized 1 1/8" bars, are much stronger than the traditional 7/8" bars that come stock on most bikes.

el presidente

Dec 21, 2000
Cam,
by what i understand on the mxsouth website i will have to buy the universal mounting kit to get them to work? i am trying to keep from this as much as possible, i really like the TAG bars, i have a buddy w/ them, but i ain't gonna pay 69.00 just to get them to mount up.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
El Pres, do your stock bars have a crossbar? If I'm wrong and yzeater is right, then you can mount the X5 bars with no adapters. If your stock bars have no crossbar, you can mount the T2 bars with no adapters.

I haven't looked close at a '02 EXC, so theres a good chance I'm wrong. I assumed it came with the same bars as the SX model.

DurtJunkee

Mar 18, 2002
i replaced my 00 kx250's rubber mount top triple clamp and renthal std bars with a BRP solid mount top triple and tag T2's. i never noticed a difference in vibration which tells me that the T2's are damn good in that respect. I've also planted the bars several times at high speed. NO BENDS!!! I recomend this combination to anyone!!! A+++++

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I just put on a new set of TAG T2 bars, CR double-Hi bend. They bent on the first ride, one crash resulting in what appears to be no major injuries. I'm going to try a different brand as replacements.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…