Taking a kid riding that isn't yours...

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
I want to take this friend of mine out riding with me and my dad because he has no one to take him. His mom says it's ok, but what kind of forms do we need to have signed, notarized, etc. so my dad can take him to the doctor if he happens to get hurt? Thanks so much.

zio

Mr. Atlas
I'm no lawyer (someone feel free to step in and correct me), but we have written notes for our children with verbage similar to this:

(date)

I, _______, give permission to __________ to make any/all decisions regarding the health/welfare of my son/daughter, ___________, during the period of ______ to _______. This includes permission to seek medical attention by a licensed physician, and dispense any medications.

(signature)

DISCLAIMER: Again, please note- I am not an attorney, and in no way do I have any idea that the above is legally binding, causes cancer, contains lead, whatever. This is just somehting similar to what we've written for my parents when they take the kids overnight, or when we've watched my nephew overnight, etc. Without something like this, an emergency room will still treat any life threatening illness/injury, but won't administer any pain medication, etc. I recommend contacting an attorney. :)

I almost never go riding with my parents. Always with neighbors and their parents. ONe track I go to has a temporary guardianship form to sign. Granted my parents could sue the people who bring me if I get hurt, but honestly, they are not going to do that so I have no worries about it.

I always carry my insurance card, a cell phone and give ALL my parents and good friends of my parents numbers to the people bringing me. I do this so I can get medical care and get in contact ASAP with my folks.

stormer94

Subscriber
It's good to think those through. We have some friends of ours that have kids that ride. It's taken me MANY months to let them ride with us without their dad. I just didn't want to have to be the one to tell their parents, "Uh, yea, about your son, well, there was this 40 foot cliff and...uh...well, I didn't see it, and uh..."

And now my son has ridden a few times with them without me, so I think we have a good understanding on how we treat each others kids, but I didn't like it at first, not one bit.

We both want our kids to ride and have the experiences and the fun, but I sure worry about his kids more than mine when they are with me, let me tell ya.

"My son Joe Smith has my permission to ride motocross at RedBud on April 2, 2000. In addition, I give permission to Sam Johnson [an adult] to sign all liability, release and registration forms at the track and to give consent for medical treatment of Joe Smith if needed."
__________________________ parent or guardian signature __________________________ notary public signature and seal

don't do it.

Chris

don't do it you will open your parents up for a big law suit,instead invite the parents of this kid to go with you guys and supervise threir own kid.I've seen friendships torn apart over injuries occoured on fun trips :think :think :think

Well, I sy that if parents are willing to sue another kids parents over an accident, they are not ggod enough friends to bring other kids riding. The people who bring me riding are VERY good friends, family in a way. BTW, isn't riding in the car with another kids parents the same sort of liability?

I have been that kid

I would do it, as long as the parents are ok with it, and have them sign some kind of form saying it is OK if the kid goes. I never had anyone to take me to the track, so I always went with friends, or neighbors. I would do it, just be careful, and it is your call if you think the kids parents are the kind to sue.(Don't shoot me for that, but I think you will understand what I mean).
LATER,
Chris:cool:

hey Im not saying that the kids parents are that kind to sue Im not and I would let my kids go. BUT TODAY YOU THOSE AMBULANCE CHASING SLUG'S CALLED ATTORNEYS HAVE A WAY OF PLACING THOUGHTS IN PEOPLES HEADS AND BELEVE ME ITS IN THEIR INTREST YET THEY HAVE A WAY OF CONVINCING PEOPLE ITS IN THEIR'S
Be Afraid very afraid!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Please don't tell me not to do this, because I will. You're just wasting your time. This friend of mine is 15 and used to ride dirtbikes with his dad when he was younger. His dad died several years ago, and he is just now starting to get back into it. He and his dad used to ride a lot and they were really close, needless to say his death hit him hard. He likes to ride, but his mom has a small car and doesn't reallly have the time to take him. Therefore I feel that it is my duty, as a kid who has a dad that loves to ride, to help him out.

So all we need to type up a piece of paper like one of the above and have it notarized? Or is the notarization important?

hey guy last thing I would do is tell someone what to do. go with your heart and head ,be carefull and most important have fun lots of it:)

I take several 15 - 17 year olds riding with me because their parents have no way to take them and both the kid and the parents appreciate it.

I first get the parents medical insurance policy numbers just in case there is an accident and you have to take them to the hospital. I also ask them if there is any special medical attention (i.e. allergies, abnormalities, etc.) that you can alert the doctor about. Also tell the parents that you want to have discipline attority in case the kid acts up. I always tells the kids, You act up, we will load the bikes up and leave. This always get's there attention.

In the end both you and the kid will enjoy it very much. Its such a pleasure to get a thank you the kids.

Good luck

stormer94

Subscriber
kdx220rm,

. I always tells the kids, You act up, we will load the bikes up and leave. This always get's there attention.
We have the same thing here, but would also add, that your kids won't listen to you, but they will always listen to others that offer advice.

"Hit that thing in about 3rd pinned"...gets a roll of the eyes from my 12 year old. NOW, if my buddy tells him the same thing, it's the gospel and the 'hot set-up'... :confused: Same thing goes for his kids, my advice is golden, they could give a rip what he says... What's that about :)

JMD

My best advice: don't do it unless the parents come along. But if you're going to do it, remember that Texas case law suggests that the waiver clause be conspicuous in the document, i.e. typed in boldface or larger type. Also, you want an express negligence clause, absolving you of liability even in the case of negligence on your part (or your father's part). At least that what I hear from a lawyer acquaintance.