Taking a kid riding that isn't yours...

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
I want to take this friend of mine out riding with me and my dad because he has no one to take him. His mom says it's ok, but what kind of forms do we need to have signed, notarized, etc. so my dad can take him to the doctor if he happens to get hurt? Thanks so much.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I'm no lawyer (someone feel free to step in and correct me), but we have written notes for our children with verbage similar to this:

(date)

I, _______, give permission to __________ to make any/all decisions regarding the health/welfare of my son/daughter, ___________, during the period of ______ to _______. This includes permission to seek medical attention by a licensed physician, and dispense any medications.

(signature)

DISCLAIMER: Again, please note- I am not an attorney, and in no way do I have any idea that the above is legally binding, causes cancer, contains lead, whatever. This is just somehting similar to what we've written for my parents when they take the kids overnight, or when we've watched my nephew overnight, etc. Without something like this, an emergency room will still treat any life threatening illness/injury, but won't administer any pain medication, etc. I recommend contacting an attorney. :)

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I almost never go riding with my parents. Always with neighbors and their parents. ONe track I go to has a temporary guardianship form to sign. Granted my parents could sue the people who bring me if I get hurt, but honestly, they are not going to do that so I have no worries about it.

I always carry my insurance card, a cell phone and give ALL my parents and good friends of my parents numbers to the people bringing me. I do this so I can get medical care and get in contact ASAP with my folks.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
It's good to think those through. We have some friends of ours that have kids that ride. It's taken me MANY months to let them ride with us without their dad. I just didn't want to have to be the one to tell their parents, "Uh, yea, about your son, well, there was this 40 foot cliff and...uh...well, I didn't see it, and uh..."

And now my son has ridden a few times with them without me, so I think we have a good understanding on how we treat each others kids, but I didn't like it at first, not one bit.

We both want our kids to ride and have the experiences and the fun, but I sure worry about his kids more than mine when they are with me, let me tell ya.

smprider0783

Oct 13, 2000
"My son Joe Smith has my permission to ride motocross at RedBud on April 2, 2000. In addition, I give permission to Sam Johnson [an adult] to sign all liability, release and registration forms at the track and to give consent for medical treatment of Joe Smith if needed."
__________________________ parent or guardian signature __________________________ notary public signature and seal

R White

Sep 13, 2001
don't do it you will open your parents up for a big law suit,instead invite the parents of this kid to go with you guys and supervise threir own kid.I've seen friendships torn apart over injuries occoured on fun trips :think :think :think

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
Well, I sy that if parents are willing to sue another kids parents over an accident, they are not ggod enough friends to bring other kids riding. The people who bring me riding are VERY good friends, family in a way. BTW, isn't riding in the car with another kids parents the same sort of liability?

Pitbull

Apr 10, 2001
I have been that kid

I would do it, as long as the parents are ok with it, and have them sign some kind of form saying it is OK if the kid goes. I never had anyone to take me to the track, so I always went with friends, or neighbors. I would do it, just be careful, and it is your call if you think the kids parents are the kind to sue.(Don't shoot me for that, but I think you will understand what I mean).
LATER,
Chris:cool:

R White

Sep 13, 2001
hey Im not saying that the kids parents are that kind to sue Im not and I would let my kids go. BUT TODAY YOU THOSE AMBULANCE CHASING SLUG'S CALLED ATTORNEYS HAVE A WAY OF PLACING THOUGHTS IN PEOPLES HEADS AND BELEVE ME ITS IN THEIR INTREST YET THEY HAVE A WAY OF CONVINCING PEOPLE ITS IN THEIR'S
Be Afraid very afraid!

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Please don't tell me not to do this, because I will. You're just wasting your time. This friend of mine is 15 and used to ride dirtbikes with his dad when he was younger. His dad died several years ago, and he is just now starting to get back into it. He and his dad used to ride a lot and they were really close, needless to say his death hit him hard. He likes to ride, but his mom has a small car and doesn't reallly have the time to take him. Therefore I feel that it is my duty, as a kid who has a dad that loves to ride, to help him out.

So all we need to type up a piece of paper like one of the above and have it notarized? Or is the notarization important?

R White

Sep 13, 2001
hey guy last thing I would do is tell someone what to do. go with your heart and head ,be carefull and most important have fun lots of it:)

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I take several 15 - 17 year olds riding with me because their parents have no way to take them and both the kid and the parents appreciate it.

I first get the parents medical insurance policy numbers just in case there is an accident and you have to take them to the hospital. I also ask them if there is any special medical attention (i.e. allergies, abnormalities, etc.) that you can alert the doctor about. Also tell the parents that you want to have discipline attority in case the kid acts up. I always tells the kids, You act up, we will load the bikes up and leave. This always get's there attention.

In the end both you and the kid will enjoy it very much. Its such a pleasure to get a thank you the kids.

Good luck

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
kdx220rm,

. I always tells the kids, You act up, we will load the bikes up and leave. This always get's there attention.

We have the same thing here, but would also add, that your kids won't listen to you, but they will always listen to others that offer advice.

"Hit that thing in about 3rd pinned"...gets a roll of the eyes from my 12 year old. NOW, if my buddy tells him the same thing, it's the gospel and the 'hot set-up'... :confused: Same thing goes for his kids, my advice is golden, they could give a rip what he says... What's that about :)

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
My best advice: don't do it unless the parents come along. But if you're going to do it, remember that Texas case law suggests that the waiver clause be conspicuous in the document, i.e. typed in boldface or larger type. Also, you want an express negligence clause, absolving you of liability even in the case of negligence on your part (or your father's part). At least that what I hear from a lawyer acquaintance.

R White

Sep 13, 2001
again that name is used again ATTORNEYS/LAWYERS/SCUM?BLODSUCKER/TAKER OF OUR FREEDOMS/TELLERS OF WHATS GOOD FOR US/TAKERS OF OUR PLACE TO RIDE. you must be young and stupid before you can be old and wise!!!! & geting old is manditory yet growing up is optional:think

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Hey, R.White -- there are good attorneys, and there are bad attorneys. Bad attorneys chase ambulances, look for frivolous lawsuits, put their personal greed in front of the needs of others, etc. GOOD LAWYERS FIGHT TO STOP THIS CRAP -- AND GET PAID A LOT LESS, MIND YOU! SO -- R.White -- I'm calling you out. From now on, talk about "the bad" lawyers. And when you use the word "SCUM" -- in all caps -- well, remember this -- in our society, LAWYERS MAKE THE ARGUMENT -- BUT JURIES AWARD THE MONEY! Are you smart enough to know that, Mr. All Caps? Doubtful.

I swear to God, I am a patient man when it comes to this sort of crap -- but you have not only made no attempt to distinguish the good from the bad, you've also gone to great lengths to be as offensive as [in]humanly possible.

Can lawyers distort laws to do wrong? Yes. But this is very analagous to the question: Can clergymen distort religion to do wrong? Also yes. Laws, like religion, have helped man to find peace, solitude, and societies that would not have otherwise been possible. And laws, like religion, have been subject to manipulation by people who put their personal ambition ahead of the greater good.

I always ask people who bash either to think carefully. Think about the "plus" side of the ledger. For lawyers, it means redress when wrongfully harmed. Protection of the Bill of Rights. Complex contracts that allow parties to enter into partnerships because they are individually tailored to specific needs, thoughtful pre-planning for wills, estates, children, and, in the case presented at the top of this thread, guardianship. BTW -- my favorite professor detailed his theory, that property laws, in particular, were particularly moral, because in every banana republic the first thing the new government does is throw people off their land and give it to their lackeys. In the U.S., thanks to our laws, they can only do so for extreme circumstances. And then they must compensate you.

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
LT, could you please give me some advice on my situation? I always love reading your posts and was hoping for a response from you or another lawyer on this board.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
YZGuy-- I would get a signed paper similar to SMP Rider's form above. That would allow for medical treatment. I would then add into it a waiver like the Mx Tracks have -- you can find one on this site if you search for while -- I remember it coming up.

If you do this, you'll still not be protected against wrongful, or negligent acts. But you'll be protected against the inherent dangers of dirt riding, and be able to get any necessary medical care.

Nothing is foolproof. But I think it's silly to let the scary stories about frivolous lawsuits deter our normal, compassionate urges to help each other out.

Keep in mind that I've not researched this particular subject. So I'm not giving you professional advice. I suggest if you have real concerns, see a lawyer in your state. And that someone can always sue you, though they may lose, and it'll cost to defend. BUT -- for every story we hear, 200 million other Americans do the right thing. Just be very, very careful, and enjoy. Oh yeah, and pm me for more.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Stormer -- don't I freakin' know it.. . . The level of taxation is a political question, though, not a legal one. So I make sure I think on it real long and real hard every election day (okay, so it doesn't take long, and it's not real hard, to know who wants to "take" more of what I've worked for). :silly:

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I am a good one, I think, and as most who've been on this board a while know -- I need not, and will not, try to "prove it" by the means you've stated -- writing to you. I don't care why you wrote that crap, get it?

As to the famous poet, do you have any idea about the story, or the actual meaning of the quote?

I thought not. It was uttered by a comic rabble leader to his tiny little gang about what he would do to become the absolute king.

Goodbye.

R White

Sep 13, 2001
dear yzguy15
I want to first say Im sorry for some off color things that I said ,yet it was to make a point! that when you get lawyers involved the issues get confused!
a simple power of attorney,or reiease of liability you can get at your local library for free, just have it notorized. again I apolgize.
have fun ride fast

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Doesn't our current legal system go beyond any documents or release forms?
Permission from this kids guardian to go ride is good enough, written or verbal. The medical part would be my only concern. Like stated above, you want to have the preliminary release for med care squared away simply for a matter of expediting any medical attention that may be needed in case of an accident. No release form can stop any legal action from taking place due to any wrong doing or negligent act, and rightly so.
You're inquiring into this tells me that your dad probably has things under control. Y'all have fun and teach him everything you can about safety and responsible dirt slingin!

btw...Longtime, yur kewl in my book. :)

Top Bottom