taking apart 46mm kayaba forks

2wheel-jimbo

Apr 8, 2004
hi, im taking apart my forks on my 2000 yz125. i have the outer tube off the inner tube and the compression cylinder out of the inner tube. my question is, how do you take the crimped ring off the push rod to remove the assembly out of the cylinder? what can i replace that ring with, and where can i get it, or can the ring be reused? and when i have the rod and piston assembly out, how do i remove the nut without wrecking the threads(because of the staking)?
thanks

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
You can't get the rod out by removing that crimped ring anyway. You need to remove the cartridge head from the cartridge tube in order to perform the work you are attempting. You would need some special tools to do this with. The staking has to be filed down or ground down. You need to be very careful when doing this. I suggest you find somebody that has done this before and have them show you. Maybe a local shop would do it, but be prepared to pay them even if they do allow you to witness the procedure. If you screw any of this up it will be pretty expensive to fix.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
2 wheel ;youll need a cartridge holder and some heat and a good drill press with a depth stop to do it best youve got to drill out the peened in parts on the cartridge where they screw together then disassemble the topand lower tube. If you did a search on this forum im sure some stuff would show up as its all been discussed before Youve also got to grind down the staking on the end of the shaft to get the nut off You might need a die or thread file to clean the end up. Id probably leave it alone if I were you unless the valving seems fouled up with swarf or something , even then id try to flush it out if possible first.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…