Taking her down, what am I missing?

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I'm going to be taking my newer to me kdx 220 down for a while to do all the maintenance stuff. Here is what I'm going to do tell me if I'm missing anything:
steering bearings: regrease, replace if necessary. swingarm linkage: dissasemble and regrease. Wheel bearings: regrease. Wiseco piston, rings, wrist pin, c-clips, bearing. Replace head gasket, cylinder gasket, water pump gasket, any other necessary water gaskets. Replace fork oil: 5w? (race tech springs) Carb: send in for RB mod :) I'm stoked about that one. Reeds: new carbon reeds for more low end (brand reccomendation??). Fresh Bridgestone M51 front/Michelin S12 rear, HD tubes if necessary. Fresh brake fluid. Sorry for making it read like a manual but I wanted it short and sweet.
Am I missing anything? Thanks for the input.
-John

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
You might want to service the power valve. Being that it's newer to you. I might service the crank and replace the crank seals! I didn't see any thing on your chain & sprockets? Your bearing in the hubs are none greaseable sealed bearing just replace. And you my want to inspect or replace all your cables. Remove and clean your air box. Do a measurement of your clutch plates and a inspection of your clutch basket for notching.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
First of all, if you're careful, you can reuse both head & base gaskets many times. Just spray the head gasket with silver paint or permatex coppercote.
Boyesen 2 stage reeds. Chamfer [countersink] the wristpin hole in the Weisco. I have a 1" diam countersink here in Arvada if you can't do it @ home. It's almost impossible to insert the c-clip into the square edged hole as supplied. Some earlier Weiscos had wrist pins that were slightly too long. The circlips didn't fully seat and within a few minutes of running you can guess what happened. Make sure the clip "snaps" solidly into place. Since you'll be riding up ;high, have RB shave the head when they do your carb [absolutely necessary]. Race Tech Gold Valves up front will get rid of that terrible spiking that beats KDX riders forearms to putty after a few short hours. The IRC VE33 is the tire of choice here in the Rockies. Get a 110/100--the stock 100/100 is too narrow.

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
RobColo: Thanks for the offer on the countersink, I may take you up on it. I probably wont get to this stuff until nearly Christmas. Is a shaved head going to mean I need to run race gas at lower elevations? (ie Moab, local tracks) I have run the VE33 for a long time and like the tire but I was told the s12 is the longest lasting best performing tire bar none (from a multiple time 250 enduro state champ). I thought I'd give it a shot. Sprockets are ok, chain is caked with Lakewood clay and needs a good long soak. What is the deal with a different needle (CEK?) do I need one? Thanks for the input.
-John

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by Johnnyboy
RobColo: it. I probably wont get to this stuff until nearly Christmas. Is a shaved head going to mean I need to run race gas at lower elevations? (ie Moab, local tracks) What is the deal with a different needle (CEK?) do I need one? .
-John

There's still lots of riding between now & christmas. I go to Moab & White Wash all the time [just got back] and run 91 octane with no problems - even in the deep sand. I've even run regular [87] over there a couple of times when we ran out of the good stuff. I think RB includes a different needle with their mod. I bored my carb out to 36 but didn't do the RB mod.

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
Refresh your Air filter, clean and re-dielectric grease your electrical fittings. Take the throttle cable completely out of the carb cap to inspect for it wearing thin. If it is doing this it is due to sharp edges in the cap which can be dremeled to a smooth vice sharp edge.
Inspect your chain block since many people have realized it was gone when the bolts holding it on were half way cut through. Same for the rubber/plastic that protects the swing arm by wrapping near the countershaft sprocket.

Sprout

Dec 10, 2002
This may sound silly to some, but remember to do a complete visual check for any small cracks or seperations in the welds on your frame. It's no fun finding out the hard way.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Jeff fredette! Has a complete line of custom parts. I really didn't like his kick starter lever though.

Fibb

Oct 30, 2003
JohnnyBoy,

I have had an S12 on my KDX for as long as I can remember and it has easily been the best performing tyre so far (both grip and wear).

I have also run it on more powerful bikes, grip=good, wear=not so flash.
The only thing - rocks imbedded in the trail spell disaster for the S12, particularly on the more powerful machine!

Top Bottom