JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Talimena Reunion Ride Nov. 3, 4-- roll call

We need to organize a big reunion ride for all the folks that rode the Kiamichi Mountains in 2004 after the tornado went through. We got to watch Harley ride into the creek saying, "Follow me, guys." Then he went underwater. The rest of us were reluctant to follow. I've never seen the creeks that high since.

Anyway, we should do it when the fall colors are best, either the end of October or the first week in November. How about November 3 and 4? Post up, guys. Let's get the original bunch together, and anyone else who wants to go.

Ghostrider?
MuddSlinger?
Keith?
Tony?
Gene?
Harley? (Does anybody know how to get in touch with Harley?)
DWreck?

Of course, we need Lust, Brian and Grady, and Alan. Josh (soft-head) and my son Scotty will probably go, too.

Last edited:

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
I am up for it but I have surgery scheduled on my shoulder the end of October (Postponed it for a month). I have been doing much better with the home therapy and having second thoughts on whether surgery is necessary (more or less exploratory because no obvious damage in MRA images). I went riding on a motorcross track in Savoy last weekend and did OK but the shoulder is still pretty tender. I am thinking about trying to do a little plunking around Munster this weekend to test it out some more.

I think my kids are headed to Little Saraha that weekend on the quads. If I can't ride, I may still watch the camp and do some cooking. Don't plan around me, If I can make it I won't miss it.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
No, Butch. Just kidding. Love to have you. I haven't seen you since the Muenster Fest in '04, was it? What are you riding these days?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
We have been talking about doing a Talimena ride. I keep having friends ask about what it was like and the answer usually starts with "Well we didn't make it very far but it looked promising..."

I know Oct. 27,28 is out for me. We have a work day scheduled at the 500 that Saturday.

November 3, 4 might be doable for me.

I got an e-mail from Harley a couple of weeks ago, If I can figure out where it went I will pm you.

If the weather and weekend work out I could probably find a couple of willing riders.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I'm interested.

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
November 3-4 sounds good to me, as I already have Nov 3 scheduled as a vacation day.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
gene and i are planning to do the talimena scenic drive on our street bikes oct. 21 & 22.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Nov. 3 sounds like the best bet. I may even fly Jimmy home from college if I can find a cheap fare. I have edited the first post to reflect the November 3 date.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
bummer, bummer, bummer ... :bang:

I am in Presidio that weekend for an Adobe conference.

By Adobe, I mean the mud bricks, not the computer program. :)

That is the weekend before the Terlingua Dual Sport ride, so I am staying in Big Bend for the entire time. :cool:

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
im in. as for the talamena drive on top. it is spectacular!!! i have to get to muenster for a couple of shakedown runs on the rebuilt cr.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
mx and tx, I'm already obligated to some volunteer stuff that weekend, enjoy.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
mx547 said:
gene and i are planning to do the talimena scenic drive on our street bikes oct. 21 & 22.
Mary and I did that a couple years ago. We trailered the streeter to Big Cedar and rented a nice cabin. Toured to Talihina the first day, and Mena the second.
Are you allowing tag-alongs?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
craig,
So sorry for the slow reply. I havent been on here in awhile. Myself and two college buddies just got back from a street bike ride on the weekend of the 7-8th in the talahina/mena/danville area. I was planning on heading back up there this weekend of the 21st to meet Jay and Kristin. We have been talking about doing a Singles Tour for three or four years now. When I say single Im talking about cylinders. Im leaving the ZRX 1100 at home and bringing up the dualsport xt600 and Jay has a Honda Ascot 500cc single. I am planning on going up to the State park on Friday and riding the CR250 on the Indian Nations Trail with JMD from NTSP. Jay will get there on Friday night and I planned on riding the parkway over to Mena, eat lunch at a great BBQ place we found, and head back. Might ride around a bit on county roads before heading home on Sunday. I talked to Tony Eeeds and he might be coming too with his xr650r dualsport. We dont really plan to ride any dirt as Jays Ascot is a street machine but it doesnt really like it too much above 65mph either. As always, you and Mary are welcome to come. We cant promise big mileage but we can promise big fun and good company. Let us know so we can confirm plans.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Gino: I'm a turd, but I can't make it this Friday. I wasn't as healed up as I thought Saturday, and although I rode real easy and never fell down, I'm pretty sore. I need to take a couple weeks off to heal. I'm sorry. But I'm trying to get myself ready for the Nov. 3 big Talimena ride. Have fun this weekend.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
craig,

there has been a change in plans as jay has to have kristin back in town mid afternoon on saturday. we plan on riding all day on friday and till lunch on saturday. you two are still welcome to come on down and ride with us. jay is having problems with the ascot and is borrowing a magna for the trip. im gonna take the zrx1100.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
As it turns out, a good friend's father died in Oregon, and I have to fly down for his funeral. He was like a second dad to me, so I owe it to the family. I'm flying this evening, and will be back Sunday. I'll be fine for the Nov. trip, but probably won't ride until then. I have to get my new 450 all tricked out anyway. I've installed the PDS-4 shock spring and the Ironman rear sprocket, and replaced the stock carb needle. Still have to put on the big tank, install the stiff fork springs, the Scotts damper, and the Watchdog computer, install the new stator and convert the charging system to DC power, switch to the older, better square headlight, and put the new shroud graphics on. Whew! Then I have to put the old 400 back together and get it up for sale. I may part out Scotty's 400, so I can keep the wheels for spares and put the revalved suspension on the 200. Too much work.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
Sorry to hear about the lost of a loved one Jimbo. Prayers to all.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Sorry for your loss. At a funeral, it's nice to see the wide range of people that a loved one has had an effect upon during their life. I hope the stories flow and the memories are sweet.

Jay and Gene, we'll have to miss this one. OSU homecoming and the Crosstimbers will be filling our weekend.
From '04... http://www.geocities.com/craig_stw/
Hope the rain holds off!

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
Sorry for your loss Jim. Hope you have safe travels to and from Oregon.

I've officially ok'd this trip w/the wifey, so add me to the list. I think I'll go ahead and invest in a 20° sleeping bag.

Last edited:

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
Jim, Sorry to hear the bad news. The good think is you get to see some friends that you have not seen in a while. The situation is not the way you want to see them though.

I am getting some PM done so I don't get stuck 30 miles from camp at the bottom of a mountain. I has been a while since I gave the bike a once over since I have not done much riding lately. We all need to take a look at the bikes so we don't turn this into a working party to recover bikes. I am still thinking about Harley dragging his buddy back through the rocks and trees that day. I need to put my tow rope back in my pack just in case.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Thanks for all the kind words. It was a bit of a bummer trip (as would be expected) but I did enjoy seeing a lot of old friends. Oregon was beautiful, but I'm glad to be back in Texas, and I can't wait to ride. My ribs still ache a bit, but I should be healed up OK by the 3rd.

Top Bottom