Tall people on a KDX220.

Aug 4, 2008
Im seriously considering buying a KDX220 as i've just sold my DRZ400. I also have an XR650R which is why im thinking 2 stroke for a second bike (hav'nt had a 2 stroke in 20 years. Yep, im getting old :whoa: ).
The KDX im thinking of getting is a 2004 model and its only done 534 miles. Its basically like new.
The only thing that worries me is my size on a KDX. Im 6 foot 6 and stocky build (ex rugby player, boxer etc). How do they compare to the DRZ for size? Obviously i'll be changing things like the handlebars for a bit more height etc but well it still be to small?
Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers. :cool:

Aug 4, 2008
Oh! it well be used for green lanes, the odd H&H etc and just general hooning about when im not out on my XR.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
I'm 5'11" with short legs for my height and fit them perfectly, you can get a tall seat though.

Aug 4, 2008
Tom68 said:
I'm 5'11" with short legs for my height and fit them perfectly, you can get a tall seat though.
I was looking at the spec's for them against the DRZ as it happens and the KDX isnt that much small apart from over all length. Infact the KDX is slightly wider and taller. As you say, bigger seat and some bigger Renthals would help but i usually find its the length from the seat to the bars thats the problem. Sets my arms wrong. My XR650R is perfect as it happens.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
You can make that KDX fit like your XR. Trouble is, it'll probably be a lot of trial-and-error, and probably cost a few dollars (or pounds or shillings or quids or euros or whatever) to find the exact combination.

One thing you might do to try and expedite the process is measure some sort of triangle from the bars to the footpegs to the seat on your XR, and then look for items for the KDX that will put it in the same relationship. I know that moving 5mm here or there makes a lot of difference, even though one wouldn't think so.

I understand your situation completely (I'm 5'20" and a biscuit short of 300 lbs). But over the years I've found I'm not all that picky and can just about jump on anyone's bike and ride it with just as much ineptitude as I ride my own. I will say, though, any little change made to make the bike fit better makes riding more of a pleasure.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
Do you have a chance to go sit on one?

The handlebar mounts can be loosened and turned around to give a little more room.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
You really need to sit on them, it seems factory specs have no standards, check out KTM claimed seat heights then go sit on one. Old story you really got to ride 'em to know if you like 'em, or in my case keep cutting welding and changing 'till you like 'em.

Ogre

Dec 11, 2007
I am 6'-5", 250+ lbs and I have mine set up very comfortable.
I have ridden a stock DRZ and it felt small/cramped compared to my KDX.
The KDX also feels VERY skinny compared to the DRZ.
We wont go into how light it feels, but its dramatic.

Tall seat, swap the offset bar mounts around so the bar is forward and a set of CR-high bars did the trick for me.
I am thinking of adding a simple bar riser as standing is just a bit off though.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Ogre, try a set of Fastway pegs (if they make them for the KDX). They move your foot position back and down, probably about 5mm. It's amazing how much difference that little bit makes, though.

Ogre

Dec 11, 2007
Back & down is exactly what I want, I tried to find some before with no luck.

I am used to trials bikes and the pegs on the KDX seem too far forward to me and make lofting the front more difficult than I think it should be.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
im 6ft tall and i had a kdx220 for a couple of years IMO they are just too small of a bike unless you really want to spend money to modify them. they also have a fairly short wheelbase due to the swingarm length.
do yourself a favour and go european such as a ktm or a husky.... better setup for taller riders out of the box,better build quality and components ,and they actually handle......
just my 2 cents :blah:

jnugent

Aug 30, 2003
Im 6'4'' and my 220 fits me great. I have a Scotts triple clamp that moves the bars forward and Pro Taper KX high bend bars. I also have the tall seat.

Aug 4, 2008
Cheers for all the replies gents. As it happens i bit the bullet so to speak and bought the KDX. 03 model registered in 2004 and its only done a genuine 534 miles from new.
I have turned the clamps round and put Jimmy button renthal bars on her. Seems plenty roomy enough as it happens. probably more so than the DRZ as has been mentioned and more so than my old XR400. Sat next to my XR650R it doesnt look that much different either.
So far im pretty impressed with the bike. Just wanted it for pure silly fun in the woods and the likes where my XR is a bit of a handful. Havent ridden it much yet as i only got it home last night but my son seems to like it already.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
british people have cool accents...

Apr 28, 2001
I am 6'5" , 240 lbs and rode a 2000 KDX 220 for 5 years. I spun the bar mounts 180 degrees and changed the bars to a HI CR bend Renthal-I think they were the Jimmy Button Bend at the time. I installed tall "ceet" foam with the stock cover and wide foot pegs. The suspension needed some help. Heavy springs and revalve from Jeff Fredette front and rear. The bike worked well and I did not feel cramped. I have since switched to an Orange 450 but I kept the KDX as a buddy bike. It still feels good to throw a leg over the KDX.

Aug 4, 2008
Cheers gents, glad to see im not the only tall person liking the KDX then.
Ive actually had a chance to ride her now and its great. I have turned the clamps around, put Jimmy Button Renthals on here and some risers. Great for standing up now.
Apart from that the bike feels well comfy and its actually bigger than my old XR400. Its not quite as big as my XR650 but its close enough.
Anyway, to really test her out ive entered her into her first Enduro in October. I have 2 within 2 weeks of each other so the KDX is being used for the one dayer, the XR650 for the 2 dayer. Looking forward to thrashing a 2 smoker about again. :cool:
Heres it is anyway.

With my son on board.

xracer27

Apr 15, 2007
The 200 is taller than you would think! My son's 96 200 is taller in the seat than my 01 cr250

jr11

Aug 15, 2008
Chiming in a bit late...I'm 6' 6" and fit fine on the KDX. The bike is narrow and the frame may not be the largest on the market, but I like a light bike I can whip around. Find some lowering pegs, a tall seat, tall bars with a set of risers and have at it.

idl1975

Aug 19, 2008
Wish my '03 was that clean! :(

FYI, I'm 6'2", mine has a KX fork conversion, and I've had no problems with space. No idea if the renthals on mine are the standard bend though.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…