tall rider on japanese bike

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
Which of the japanese bikes has the most room for a tall rider? (I'm 6'2") Are there aftermarket triple clamps to move the bars out for more room? I ride enduros with a KTM and have thought about a CR because of the weight, suspension, and numerous dealers in my area. There are recent discussions here that have peaked my interest but they have not discussed small rider vs. large rider issues.

Thanks

jrmcmichael

Mar 6, 2000
I ride the YZ250 and I've found that the extended bar mounts from
Thumper Racing make a HUGE difference. I'm 6'3" and 240.
The bar mounts move the bar up about an inch and a half and
forward.

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
I know there are more of you out there :)

From looking at specifications, the new CR looks to be tall, but the Yamaha looks even taller. If you calculate the seat-to-peg distance by subtracting ground clearance from seat height, the YZ and CR are less cramped than my KTM. Can these spec's be trusted. My guess is no. And it may be that the "roomy feel" cannot be determined by measuring so that's why I'm asking you guys. What do you think?

Thanks

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
You can't judge how roomy the bike will be by the specs, FWIW.
The CR is a small feeling bike.. Low and long.
The YZ feels low and short.
I ride a '00 KX250, I'm 6'5 and it feels the roomiest to me. Very nice riding position.. I wouldn't recommend buying one though, Kawasakis are junk and this is my last one ever.
The RM has a different feel altogether. It's a love it or hate it feeling, IMHO.
I haven't ridden a KTM, so I won't comment, but from what I hear they are the roomiest and best suited to tall riders.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I am 6'8" tall.

I ride a yz-f with a thumper racing tall seat and protaper clamp in the forward position with RC renthals.
It is ROOMY!
MY bro' just got a 520 and it feels like my knees are in my helmet.
You can make a yz feel good for a big guy.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Do a search on my user name & you should find plenty of discussions regarding this issue.

I ride a WR400 with Thumper 1.5" risers/Protaper Enduro Hi bars & a GUTS Tall seat - I'm 6'4" and the set up works for me.

I agree with SFO about the 520 - I sat on one (didn't even try to ride it) and my knees were higher than my hips when seated.

Brian

Reeko

Aug 9, 1999
I had a 99KX250 and now a 01 CR250.
The KX was a little taller feeling stock, but the CR now feels fine after installing CRHI pro tapers with the mounts offset forward and adding a Ceet tall seat foam.

Bike feels very comfortable now. I am 6'2" with long legs (36" inseam for jeans).

Top Bottom